cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proxy or File? Which should be preferred?

former_member188885
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have a scenario where we have around 9 files being dumped into the FTP of the application server by an program currently. The requirement is to transfer these files to an SFTP location. Hence, PI is going to be used.

We are thinking of using Proxy to SFTP. But the client wants FTP to SFTP.

I want to know which one can be preferred and also the pros and cons between these.

Appreciate your quick response!

Regards,

Lavanya R

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lavanya - I agree with Jenny's comments.. but incase you hold the key then..

I feel that proxy has got an edge over File adapter.. below few highlighted pt might help u taking your decision

-> File adapter is polling based.. i.e. Though your program generates the files, they won't get transferred immediately instead depends on the polling interval that you configure in the channel..

(Of course you can reduce the polling interval to make it realtime but which is a kind of alternative)

If you go with the proxy.. it makes your interface real time.. as you can push the messages to PI.. It won't be a two step approach like with the other...

-> In terms of Data volume.. performance.. Proxy communication always takes over File/FTP

Having said that

if you have a program which is already generating the files and if you just need to send them to SFTP server then instead of investing efforts in making it as a proxy interface...

just create a pass through interface as every one suggested..

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member187010
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Lavanya,

Let me share few points for both.

A. Proxy to File

1. Since same file is to be placed in sFTP directory, you can define new channel sFTP type, ID and RA.

2. This will create file at both location i.e. FTP and sFTP.

3. Suppose if mapping requirement change for sFTP location, it would be easy to update or create different mapping for this and update this in Interface determination.

B. File to sFTP

1. Point 3 advantage discussed above will not be easily available in this scenario. If you want to update the mapping part for sFTP you have to create all ESR object which would take some time.

2. Effort to create this scenario is somehow less. You just have to pic file from FTP location and place it in sFTP location without using mapping part or even content conversion in channel(using integrated configuration).

3. Main issue which i think of this scenario is,

Case 1: Suppose user want to delete file from FTP location once it is processed for sFTP location. Then placing file in FTP location will not be of any use.

Case 2: Suppose user doesn't want to delete file then how you would limit one perticular file should be processed only once. Archival option will also delete file as discussed above.

Regards

Jitender

Message was edited by: Jitender Gusain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lavanya,

this is more of a strategy descision on how you want to set up interfaces in your landscape. Read this blog which exactly describes your scenario.

http://ctieai.wordpress.com/2014/02/20/mft-sending-flat-files-from-sap-via-abap-proxy/

Regards

Jenny

Muniyappan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lavanya,

you have files readily available in app server. so better go for ftp connection. no extra proxy coding needed. and it will be pass through scenario if you don't have any transformation.

Regards,

Muni.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

FTP (File Transfer Protocol):

FTP are always better for files transfer.

1.This is a built-in feature of File adapter in PI.

2.No extra effort in development and maintenance of OS level Script.

Regards,

Mutti

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lavanya,

I think all depends in a set of factors. If you need to map values you would need a proxy better to do the XML transformation earlier and you avoid the FCC restrictions. If you will need only to transfer files i would recommend the ftp communication.

Regards.