cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variant Configuration Implementation/Cutover

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm currently with a manufacturing company that has been running SAP for a few years.  Now they are maintaining separate BoMs for the different product variants.  This is becoming too burdensome.

My question revolves around how VC is implemented from a master data perspective.  In sandbox we've been creating new materials (+ the other master data) with VC baked in and are having success.  Do we need to role new material numbers for our product line in production?  If we don't, how do we deal with sales orders and production orders that are "in process?"  I have a feeling that something will break when we change all the BoM/Routing master data, new material type, new item categories, strategy groups, etc.

Any insight from the community would be appreciated!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jake Schmidt,

Just a small reply could be you can use ECM to phase out and phase in BOMs with effectivity dates.

Creating new material for existing material and using them after VC implementation can be a another option.

small example:

you have products A B C D E , have some similarity but individual BOM.

create new configurable material K1 , create super BOM which  will be resulting in  A B C D or E. existing material can be converted into Material variants and tied up with new configurable material.

up to X date orders will be accepted by sales department with old numbers and after x date it will be for new KMAT, for in process a special cut over strategy can be developed after business understanding.

ultimately my suggestion is go for it , Hire a experience VC consultant and he will make this things happen correctly.

Good Luck.

Thanks

Ritesh