cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leveraging existing Netweaver portal with SAP HANA Cloud Portal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am quite new to SAP HANA Cloud Portal and its features and I have some questions.

Can SAP HANA Cloud portal act as an extension to Netweaver portal 7.x and consume content (iViews, applications) from an existing on-premise portal or bw? If so, to what extent could it consume content and provide service in the same way as Netweaver portal does? Also how would it do this, from a technical or architectural standpoint?

From what I understand so far, the cloud portal is more of a lean portal and is meant for smaller businesses and can't be thought as a substitute for netweaver portal but as an extension or option. (?)

Which companies or industry would benefit most from hana cloud portal?

What are the limitations of the hana cloud portal?

Our team is currently in the discovery period and are currently creating a business case for hana cloud portal.

Thanks in advance

Cheers!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Greg,

some short answers...

Greg Carino wrote:

Hi Experts,

I am quite new to SAP HANA Cloud Portal and its features and I have some questions.

Can SAP HANA Cloud portal act as an extension to Netweaver portal 7.x and consume content (iViews, applications) from an existing on-premise portal or bw? If so, to what extent could it consume content and provide service in the same way as Netweaver portal does? Also how would it do this, from a technical or architectural standpoint?

HANA Cloud Portal is a completely new approach and not thought as just a n extension to an on premise portal. This also does not make sense. You better bring up your content newly into the on demand portal but prepare it for on premise and then convert it. There is no such thing as iViews for on demand. There this is done with open social plugins written in Javascript.

From what I understand so far, the cloud portal is more of a lean portal and is meant for smaller businesses and can't be thought as a substitute for netweaver portal but as an extension or option. (?)

Currently you could see it as such, as it is relatively fresh product, but growing fast. I would not call it for small business when the functionality is to integrate large scale id management to it. The whole strucure is built to serve large environments also.

Which companies or industry would benefit most from hana cloud portal?

Nice question. Once you found out, let me know 😉 The technology is such basic that you cannot talk about specific industries. I'd rather say all industry which has to expose data to the world is a target - and who isn't these days?

What are the limitations of the hana cloud portal?

To get an idea of what  the on demand portal can do I recommend to view sapdatacenter.com. That is where it runs. The actual features of the portal are currently very basically those of a portal: collecting and combining views on applications by handling roles and identity. And in case your idea is to run more than - let's say 10.000 users on it I recommend to let us know before - just to be aware that there is a wave coming...

Our team is currently in the discovery period and are currently creating a business case for hana cloud portal.

Thanks in advance

Cheers!

Have fun!

Benny

Answers (0)