cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMP 2.2 Deployment of package (update) problem in SCC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everybody,

Hope you can help. I'm currently working on some updates of a mobile application. The changes on the frontend and backend work ok. The problem lies in the update of the Sybase part. We already have a complete environment up and running and that works ok. I recently changed one of the structures of the bapi's which lay behind a MBO. I've refreshed the MBO and I see the new attributes in the workspace.

The second step is to build the package. This works as well.

The third step is to make sure the structure changes are also present in the backend system (QAS). This works ok.

The fourth step is to deploy it in our QAS domain of the SUP server using SCC. I follow the normal steps to update the Package and than the trouble starts. It says it failed to update the current package and provides me with the following errors (I've reduced it to the essential ones):

2014-03-05 09:11:31.023 Subsystem=Error,Application ID=,Application Connection ID=,User=,Correlation ID=,Package=,Root Context ID=,Transaction ID=,MBO=,Operation=,Thread ID=679,Node ID=SUP01,Error=DataServices: deploys intersect, not allowed with mode UPDATE.

And the following related to the newly added attributes:

2014-03-05 09:11:31.014 Subsystem=Error,Application ID=,Application Connection ID=,User=,Correlation ID=,Package=,Root Context ID=,Transaction ID=,MBO=,Operation=,Thread ID=679,Node ID=SUP01,Error=Column "XYZ" :new attribute

And

2014-03-05 09:11:31.014 Subsystem=Error,Application ID=,Application Connection ID=,User=,Correlation ID=,Package=,Root Context ID=,Transaction ID=,MBO=,Operation=,Thread ID=679,Node ID=SUP01,Error=DataServices: MBO: "Inspections" Column "XYZ" :new attribute.

And

2014-03-05 09:11:31.013 Subsystem=Error,Application ID=,Application Connection ID=,User=,Correlation ID=,Package=,Root Context ID=,Transaction ID=,MBO=,Operation=,Thread ID=679,Node ID=SUP01,Error=Columns Conflict

The problem is that the programmer who did al this is not available. I have a guide which I was following to the letter but somehow this doesn't work anymore. Documentation of sybase does not provide information about these errors (as far as I could find).

Hope you can help!

Cheers!

Laurens

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I found the following in the documentation. Do I interpret it correctly by saying that adding attributes would result in errors?

http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.infocenter.dc01283.0213/doc/html/fre13...

Supported Changes for Update Deployment

Understand package changes supported by an Update deployment.

Allowed package updates include:
  • Adding MBOs to a new synchronization group
  • Changing the Cache Policy
  • Adding or removing Result Set Filters
  • Adding or removing Result Checkers
  • Adding operation parameters with default values
  • Adding or removing a logical role

During deployment, multiple messages may be returned via the ProgressMonitor, which display in the Error Log view in Unwired WorkSpace. Verification does not halt if an error is detected, it continues to log all relevant error messages. When deploying a package in Update mode where an existing version of that package is deployed, deployment fails verification and returns an error if it "breaks" the existing application.
Detailed messages returned from Unwired Server for an Update deployment indicating what the update consists of includes:
  • MBO: {MBOName} Column {name} :new attribute
  • Columns Conflict in MBO {MBOName} different nodes

Schema validation messages returned from Unwired Server if an Update deployment fails include:

• Deploys intersect, not allowed with mode UPDATE
  • Cannot Merge Documents. Name or version does not match

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
When deploying a package in Update mode where an existing version of that package is deployed, deployment fails verification and returns an error if it "breaks" the existing application.

That is correct. Workarounds are:

Deployment from workspace:

1. select REPLACE with same version of MBO Package
  2. Select UPDATE with different version of MBO package

Deployment from SCC:

• Delete existing deployed package and deploy new one (We can export the existing deployed package for backup and delete it and deploy new one)

Rgrds,

Jitendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lets have a go at that! Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, it looks like the second workaround did the job. The deployment went without errors and I now get errors on the frontend (as expected because the code and stuff isn't up to date in our app). I'll continue with the update and keep you posted!

Cheers!

Laurens

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is a known issue with SUP server. I am not sure it is the same case in SMP 2.3 too.

When you are making a change in the table structure of RFC like adding a new field or deleting a field it will not reflect in the CDB. A workaround is to delete the MBO package and application from SCC>restart the server and deploy the modified package.

Midhun VP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Midhun,

Doing this would result in a loss of data, is that correct? Would it be possible to add a new version of some kind? The delete option should really be the last resort.  I really can't remember seeing my colleague doing something like this. We already added new attributes to other MBO's without problems. 

Do you have a link to this known issues of SMP2.2? I have to gather some arguments to actually perform the delete and the redeployment of the package.

Cheers!

Laurens

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are right if you delete the package data will be lost from CDB. I didn't find any alternative for this issue. I faced this issue several times and reached this workaround.

Midhun VP

Former Member
0 Kudos

That is really odd. Imaging 5000 users using a specific application with MBO's coming from multiple locations and suddenly data is missing/gone because we have to add a specific extra field to the package.

Anyway, thank you for the answer. Really appreciate them! Lets hope other forum members have encountered this problem and found a more non-destructive solution

Cheers!

Laurens

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

But when you deploy the mbo in Mobile Workspace, then you can select UPDATE and version other than 1.0, it will create/add a new package version in SCC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Would it be an option to duplicate our QAS domain on the sup server and deploy the package in there? This way I could at least check if the package itself is without errors.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jitendra,

thanks for the answer. Problem here is that our development environment is on a different domain/location than the sup server. So we have to generate the package in Eclipse (SMW) and deploy them manually in the SCC using remote desktop.

Cheers!

Laurens

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In the production it is not recommended to do this. You can raise a ticket to SAP to get a workaround.

Midhun VP

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You might need to restart SUP server. In one of my previous proj, whenever we made any changes at SAP backend level, those changes were not reflecting on device side, when we restarted sup server and it did work.

Rgrds,

Jitendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jitendra,

Nope, that doesn't work. Your correct about the changes with regard to the device side. Most of the time (when my colleague made the change) the deployment would be successful but the app itself would give errors. After the reboot, things would work as expected on the device.

Problem remains the deployment

Cheers!

Laurens

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
The fourth step is to deploy it in our QAS domain of the SUP server using SCC. I follow the normal steps to update the Package and than the trouble starts

updating package in SCC? maybe you can delete the existing package and deploy from scratch.

Rgrds,

Jitendra