cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STMS: Difference between transport methods

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts

I am really confused about the technical difference between the transport execution methods in ABAP system. I have found a lot of theorical information about this, but anything related to the technical behaviour. My questions are the following:

1) In the NW ABAP application server if I have a transport buffer with 20 requests ready to be imported, what is the difference if I select the "Import all" option versus the "Import single" with all the requests selected (F6). What determines the import sequence of the executions and are all the objects imported together or one transport next to the other (all transport phases for each request or one general phase for all requests )?

2)  If I select several transport request in a  buffer that was created manualy with "add to buffer" option, the "Import single" will fix the sequence or the sequence number in the buffer determines the execution order?

Any help will be appreciated.

César Castillo

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

1) Import All is recommended & is supposed to be faster

1223360 - Composite SAP Note: Performance optimization during import

c) Use the "import all" strategy wherever possible.
If you can use organizational measures to ensure that the sequence of transport requests in the queue is correct, you should ideally process it with the "import all" strategy. Even if you are still working with individual imports in the Q system, it may be an option for subsequent systems.

1008058 - Performance of individual imports

The best solution is to change the TMS import strategy to the "import all strategy".

Import all is supposed to execute the import in a way that avoid sequence problems (it is supposed to process every import steps for all the orders avoiding dependency conflict).

2) Import of multiple orders selected in the import queue (that is not an import all but a multiple single imports) will be performed in the order of the request in the queue (oldest request first) this can lead to dependency problems if the order in the import queue is not good (and from my experience it is very often the case, as it is rare that developer / consultants synchronize themself to release order in an appropriate sequence).

Regards