Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ad Hoc Inspections

former_member188029
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I have an unusual requirement from my client.

I have much experience with all the MM01/02 inspection type assignments as well as their associated triggers.

I have a need to perform an Ad Hoc (type 89) inspection, with assigned characteristics, which is not associated with a material.

I've never been tasked to do this.

How would you suggest we approach this??  Will it require special coding, customization, or config.,

We will be implementing Mii as well. Can this be accomplished via Standard QM?

Much Thanks

Verroz

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I've seen this need for samples such as competitor's samples.  Sometimes for research samples.  Once in awhile an engineer comes up with some bright idea to test something new in the process.

Usually we set up a no value material for this and activate the manual inspection lot 89.  It can be batch managed too if you want and then special information could be added in the batch.  I.e you can create a series of batch characteristics that describe the sample 

A simple inspection plan is created with one operation and maybe one test on it like "Sample Description" with a pass/fail value.  The sample could be described in the inspection description for that characteristic.  Than the tech adds whatever additional characteristics are required.

You can also use inspection points to capture sample information in the inspection point identifiers if you want.  Inspection lot short text can be used too for this.

There can be many variations on this and what fields you use to capture data about the sample. 

Bottom line though is that you cannot do an inspection without a material number being provided.

Craig

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ad hoc

ˈad ˈhäk,ˈhōk/

adjective & adverb

adjective: ad hoc; adverb: ad hoc; adjective: adhoc

1. 1.
    formed, arranged, or done for a particular purpose only."an ad hoc committee"

former_member221025
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

New word addition to my vocab.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would add that typically this is considered a one time occurrence.  In the example of the committee, it would be temporary and would be disbanded after it achieves it's goals.

An ad hoc sample would be a one-time sample, not expected to normally be repeated. So while you may regularly test competitor's samples, each inspection would have unique tests for that specific sample.

Craig

former_member218067
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Your Question is not clear, you are going to do Ad-hoc inspection with Insp.Type 89 of what?

If its not material ?

former_member188029
Participant
0 Kudos

OK,

I'll try to clarify:

I want to do an ad hoc inspection that is not assigned to a material.

Inspections are "usually" associated with a material.

I want to perform an inspection that is not associated with a material. I will want to use chars.

Hope this is clear.

Verroz

former_member218067
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It’s not possible to create an Inspection lot without material.The sole purpose of quality Inspection is to record the quality parameters of, some kind of material....

Thanks

DD

former_member221025
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Verrazano,

What is ad Hoc?

I googled it, I could just get that it is some kind of wireless network.

Anyways, you have already made clear that it is not a material,

so I would consider creating it as Equipment (Or material, its client's decision) and set inspection accordingly.

Check if it suits your requirement.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1316901

Amol.

former_member188029
Participant
0 Kudos

OK

former_member188029
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks to you Craig for this guidance. This is, understandably, a somewhat special "out of the normal approach to inspection" via standard SAP QM. PM has been implemented and maybe this will be the route to go.  The option to create a dummy material, though within std. QM, is probably the quickest mode to put into action.

Much thanks to you and the responders.

Verroz

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Even for PM, you will still need an equipment master to inspect against.  Which is in fact, a material master.

Craig