cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring a 10g database to 11g with brtools or export/import ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We have a plan to upgrade our database version from 10G to 11G.

What's the best method to restore database from 10G to 11G? Usually I used brtools.

Whether I can restore the database from 10G to 11G using brtools or using export/import from sapinst?

Please share your though

Thank You

Edy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

What I understood is that there is a need to upgrade a database from 10G to 11G.

But I really cant understand why you need a backup and restore in an upgrade.

You need to be clear when you are asking questions.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan, Nick, Deepak,

Thank your prompt response.

I haven't used DB Upgrade, I used fresh SAP Installation and fresh Oracle 11G installation. On the SAP installation step, I must restore the database. I have database from Oracle 10G.

How to restoring database if the Oracle version is different source 10G, destination 11G)?

Whether I used brrestore method or export/import or another method?

Thank You

Edy

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Edy,

For your scenario, you should use Export/ import method.

Export the database running on 10g and import the same into 11g database using homogenous system copy method.

Alternatively If you are using RMAN, you can restore and recover the database against 11g home. Use sqlplus to open the database

alter database open resetlogs upgrade;

Run catupgrade. Just check Oracle doc

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e17222/upgrade.htm#i1011372

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Some more clarity - Database upgrade doesn't need any restore. Process installs newer version in separate Oracle home and then it upgrades the Database (Links your 10G database with 11G binaries/home).

Go through the Database upgrade guide.

Regards,

Nick Loy

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Edy,

As you plan to upgrade your 10g DB to 11g , not able to understand why you need to restore 10g data to 11g database.

Secondly using sapinst export/import method would be preferred to migrate 10g to 11g directly.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Secondly using sapinst export/import method would be preferred to migrate 10g to 11g directly.

This is not true. This is not Oracle suggested way.

Also sapinst export and import will take a lot of downtime.

Regards

RB