cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows/Sybase versus IBM i SAP install

Former Member
0 Kudos

Looks like the upper echelons are considering a platform change from our beloved IBM i to a windows/Sybase platform Since SAP bought the Sybase DB product they think this is the way to go.

I am making up a list of good/bad things about either choice. I know that SAP implementations are faster and easier on IBM I and you dont need dedicate DB staff etc. Just wondered if the group had some opinions on this choice.

Thanks

Matthew Milne

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have both IBM i and Win/SQLServer.  One of the challenges we faced was the regular Windows patching--it was not sustainable for all the Windows servers introduced in an SAP environment.  But a coworker found an open-sourced solution, where we can stop SAP from MMC/MSManagementConsole, apply the changes and bounce the server from the new tool, then restart SAP from the MMC.  There is still a need for an outage, but at least it can be done in a practical amount of time. 

I think dollar numbers can be tortured many different ways, once you include licenses and extra people.

Another issue that I see is the increase in teams needed for a response:  in the IBM i world, "we" (Basis team) support the hardware, the OS, the DB, and the SAP application.  In the Win world, there's the server team, the OS team, the DB team, AND the Basis team.  So responding to an issue can result in having to involve more people in the solution.

--Note that my comments are my own, not necessarily of my employer.--

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

RSchmerbauch
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

The better question is "why did SAP purchase Sybase, after avoiding supporting that DB for nearly 20 years?"    The answer is because SAP was far more interested in Sybase's mobile applications, not because they were particularly interested in the database.  If it was a useful interesting DB, they would have supported it long ago.  Once SAP owned it with what they really wanted, they were obligated to try to make it work.

To correct some prior statements, I would add the following:  

- When getting data from SAP systems for mobile apps, communication should usually occur through the SAP application server APIs.  This should be standard regardless of the DB.  If you are going around SAP to the DB layer directly, you might get it to work, but you are exposed to any DB structural changes SAP may decide to make.  Best practices would include the apis so SAP ensures compatibility going forward. 

- IBM i is NOT dependent on 3rd party for HA/DR.  3rd party apps exist and may be used, but IBM's PowerHA is clearly the preferred option because of the high level of integration with IBM i and DB2 for i.

- Yes, IBM i is more like a mainframe than it is like windows... in that it is very stable and reliable - I take that as a complement to IBM i, and a recognition that Windows is not as durable.

- In general, the same value proposition reasoning holds for i vs Sybase as against the others.    You need to look at the bigger picture. http://ibm.co/14PM22I

The cost of JUST a DB app is never going to be comparable to something which includes a DB and OS and much more like IBM i.  Add up all the other pieces, over time, as in the study, and then compare.

Regards, Ron

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ron

You raise many excellent points there, especially that Sybase was ignored by SAP for 20 years. Is it true that you can now do a regular install of SAP on sybase? just like you can on say DB2, Oracle and MS SQL etc?

I am wondering if the mobile/smartphone options under Sybase is clouding the decision. The smartphone options are nice but most SAP work will stil be done from some kind of regular windows terminal using SAPGUI or portal etc. Some metaphor about the tail not wagging the dog seems appropriate here....

Matthew

RSchmerbauch
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, Sybase is supported as a Db for NetWeaver applications now - finally joining the DB2s, Oracle, Sql Server, etc  in a place SAP had never allowed them to be.

From what I understand from IBM sources there are few actually going that route, so it is a smaller customer set than i. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Interesting, just checking dice.com as a reference there are a few Sybase SAP sites but only a very few compared the major DB's.

Does Sybase offer any real advantage for smartphone/BYOD access or do most sites use some SAP addon for device access?

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Matthew,

Using Sybase Mobilizer , we can develop mobile applications.

Some major functions

Airtime topup

Bill Pay

Send and request money

Manage accounts and transactions

Add and register bank accounts

Block accounts

Change PIN

Manage notifications

Add credit cards

Balance inquiries

Pre-authorize, authorize, and cancel transactions

Load and unload from stored value account (SVA)

Search, pull, and view coupons

http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.infocenter.dc01859.0510/doc/html/eka13...

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sybase Mobilizer offers some very useful mobile apps. But is it true to say that you do not need your backend SAP DB to be Sybase to use the Sybase Mobilizer?

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Matthew,

Yes Mobilizer applications will require database platform to be available.

Following databases are supported

1) Sybase ASE 15.5 & higher

2) IBM DB2 9.7

3 ) Oracle 11g

Refer : http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.infocenter.dc01871.0510/pdf/Mobiliser_Platform_In...

So it is not dependent on Sybase database alone.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

From my experience

1) Cost of SAP installations on Sybase/windows is lower as compared to IBMi

2) IBMi is more like mainframe kinda environment as compared to Windows

3) Sybase is more flexible and integration can be easily done with mobile applications developed on SUP ( Sybase Unwired Platform). This is having an edge over IBMi due to great boom of mobile technology.

4) License cost is lower as compared to IBMi

5) Process of Kernel upgrade , db patch upgrades is more easier in Sybase/Windows as compared to the same process on IBMi.

6) Sybase has better & Cheaper DR replication solutions ( SRS- Sybase Replication server) as compared to IBMi where I need to be dependent on 3rd party software to achieve a good DR solution.

Regards,

Deepak Kori