Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One plant for each project

former_member707808
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi everybody.

I'm very new at SAP world, being MM and PS my main areas.

In our current project, the customer and some external consultants are insisting in having exactly one plant for each project (ie. creating a new Plant for every new Project).

I don't have much experience, but this decision stunned me and I know it has a lot of consequences. We have proposed Project Stock as an alternative to achieve the customer requirements (material valuation at Project level), but I think they'll go with 1 Plant - 1 Project.

I want to know if you have some experience with this configuration, and ask you to show us the problems we'll have to face, in the short and in the long run.

Regards.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member210342
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Emilio,

1 plant for 1 project can be maintained...

It depends on that what hierarchy maintained in your company.

You can check in KCH5(profit center hierarchy), OKENN(cost center hierarchy)

For project you can do like that.

Create project profile in OPSA and plant and company code left empty there in organization tab.

While creating project in cj20n with new project profile ...

system will ask plant and company code maintain there

then your project become specific to on plant.

Try this in development ... I am sure it will work,

And can you tell me what hierarchy is maintained in your company b/w company code and plant, cost center, profit center.

And how you are creating project recently?

Thanks

Rahul

sushrut_sheth
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I agree with you

But the condition is whether is it really required to go for one plant for one project,

It is always a new process  to go every time with configuration of the Plant rollout in MM or in FI,increasing dependencies

Master data creation (work centers/material master extension)

testing before moving to client production.

former_member210342
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sushrut,

I agree with you also ....Additional configuration needed with finance about reporting and all.

For material ...I think it already going on for  extension to plants becoz material is plant specific not for

cost object specific..If wbs-element belongs to plant 1 then material is needed to belong to that plant

also.

Hi Emilio,

Please get help from sushrut reply also. Becoz these decisions are marked at the time of

implementation ..Its get quite difficult if you change in between.

Thanks

Rahul

former_member707808
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your help.

In their current ERP they don't have the 'Plant' figure, as they operate directly with Projects.

They want to mantain FInancial Statements for every project individually. We will accomplish that with a Profit Center for each Project.

But also, they want to mantain Material Valuation separately from other projects. We have to decide between Valuated Project Stock and one Plant for every Project.

I prefer the first option, because of the impact of the second one in the system (well commented in all of your posts).

Should we press more to avoid One Plant for every Project? Do you have any experiences using Valuated Project Stock?

Once again, thank you very much!!

former_member210342
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

In valuated project stock, It is mandatory to use valuation class for project stock in accounting tab in material..

If you are not maintaining valuation class specific to project stock...then system will use valuation class maintained in plant stock as default.

You have to do the active the valuation stock in OPSA for project .but It will impact previous projects.

So better to make new project profile for that...I advice you to  discuss with business experts for this..

For more help about valuation project stock refer this..

Valuated Project Stock: Scenario

Please mark it helpful or correct so that others can get help from this.

Warm Regards

Rahul

sushrut_sheth
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

as per requirement you can mention to customer as below

even if plant and company codes are same ,project stock are bifurcated and available as per WBS element wise

all project stocks can be further bifurcated based upon storage locations

from finance point we can maintain profit center for every project

even if customer is not satisfied

you can mention that every time when a new plant is created ,confguration is required to be carried out either in MM or in PS before creation of the project

master data such as materials shall be required to be extended on a large scale from one plant to another plant

in system there shall be numerous plants under single company code ,where in reporting is possible over with projects with single company code and limited plants.

i hope few others can incorporate there suggestions too,if it is helpful please mark it as helpful