SAP for Retail Discussions
Join conversations about personalization, omnichannel strategies, and operational excellence in retail using SAP for Retail software.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical inventory for stores

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

I am having some questions regarding store stock physical inventory process with the background that the client is using 3rd party POS system.

1. I am having bit of research regarding standard functionalities to do physical inventory for retail stores and got the normal (i think it is the most normal one) transaction to create physical inventory doc and post difference (MI01, MI04, MI07, MI20, etc); on the other hand, i found there is the transaction WSTI (logistics-->Retailing-->Merchandise Logistics-->Physical Inventory-->Special procedures" with the title "physical inventory during opening time". So I wonder what the differences are between them? And which should be the right approach for physical inventory process?

2. On trying the WSTI transaction, there is one code "WSTI_R_PI_CALC - Calculate Inventory balance", when i enter the store and article and execute, it gives me an error message "Physical inventory switched off for opening time in all sites", so appreciate if any expert can shed some light how I can deal with this situation?

You responses are most appreicated.

BR

Dom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tobias_König
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Dom,

1. which way ("normal" inventory count or inventory count during opening hours) is the "right" one depends on the business.

With "Inventory count during opening hours", the staff can count the goods during opening hours. When calculating the stock balance, the system checks the goods issue of goods sold between the start of the count and the end of the count. This is necessary to calculate the correct inventory difference.

2. Before being able to use "Inventory count during opening hours", you have to configure it. The message you got using transaction WSTI tells you, that "Inventory count during opening hours" is not configured in your system.

Check: SPRO --> Sales and Distribution --> POS Interface --> Inbound --> General Settings for Physical Inventory During Opening Hours and

SPRO --> Sales and Distribution --> POS Interface --> Inbound --> Store Phys. Inventory Control

Hope it helps.

Regards

Tobias

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Tobias_König
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Dom,

1. which way ("normal" inventory count or inventory count during opening hours) is the "right" one depends on the business.

With "Inventory count during opening hours", the staff can count the goods during opening hours. When calculating the stock balance, the system checks the goods issue of goods sold between the start of the count and the end of the count. This is necessary to calculate the correct inventory difference.

2. Before being able to use "Inventory count during opening hours", you have to configure it. The message you got using transaction WSTI tells you, that "Inventory count during opening hours" is not configured in your system.

Check: SPRO --> Sales and Distribution --> POS Interface --> Inbound --> General Settings for Physical Inventory During Opening Hours and

SPRO --> Sales and Distribution --> POS Interface --> Inbound --> Store Phys. Inventory Control

Hope it helps.

Regards

Tobias

0 Kudos

Thanks Tobias

1. What is the differnece between the MI01 etc method and the WSTI in terms of system behaviour? For example, will system automatically lock any inventory change (GI, GR) of the stores when using MI01 methods?

2. I am not able to find "SPRO --> Sales and Distribution --> POS Interface --> Inbound --> General Settings for Physical Inventory During Opening Hours", can you shed some light on it?

Thanks a lot.

Dom

0 Kudos

Hi Dom,

First question: the difference is the following:

Let's say, you plan to start your inventory today. You lock you inventory as of yesterday - end of business day. Let's say, system says, stock is 10 EA. Your doing inventory count during opening hours. The staff goes to the shelf as today at 10 o'clock. The staff counts a stock of 7 EA.

So, the question is: is there a stock difference of 3 or are 3 EA sold between 8 o'clock (opening of the store) and 10 o'clock.

So, with inventory count during opening hours functionality, before posting the inventory difference of 3 EA, system checks against goods sold in POS DM, if there where transactions from POS between start of counting and the effective time of counting. Therefore, you must be able to give the information, when exactly you have counted to ERP system.

Second question:

Inventory count during opening hours is available as of SAP ERP Enhancement Package 2005.2. If I am not mistaken, you have to activate at least Business Function ISR_RETAIL_STORE, maybe also ISR_RETAIL_STORE_2 and the following to get the whole functionality. You have to check this against the documentation. So, you should check in your system, if this / these business functions are activated.

Regards

Tobias

0 Kudos

Thanks Tobias

Could you advise where I can activate business function ISR_RETAIL_STORE or maybe ISR_RETAIL_STORE_2?

Thanks a lot.

Dom

0 Kudos

Hi Dom,

you can activate Business Functions in the Switch Framework.

Transaction SFW5.

You should be aware that the activation of a business function is irreversible. So you should check with the responsible person for the system if it is ok to activate this business function(s) as it may also affect other business processes! Please refer to the documentation of the business functions to get an impression of the impact of the activation. (Some Busines Functions also have prerequisites, so this topic can be a little bit difficult).

Regards

Tobias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dominic,

Please refer attached document for detailed process on physical inventory...

Hope you will find it useful...

BR

Ajaya Kumar Mishra