cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the SNP optimizer takes into account transportation calendars (time streams)?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We're trying to limit the days when a transportation lane can be used by including a transportation calendar(time stream) to the means of transport. The receipt days on certain locations, depend on the source-target location relationship so we don't want to do this through shipping/Receipt calendars at the location Level (/SAPAPO/LOC3).

Example:
Source A - Target X     Receipt days ( Monday-Tuesday)
Source A - Target Y     Receipt days (Friday-Sunday)
Source B - Target X     Receipt days ( Monday-Wednesday)
Source B - Target Y     Receipt days (Thursday-Friday-Saturday)    

We've tried this in an heuristic scenario, and it works. But when we run the optimizer, it doesn't seems to take into account the transportation calendars; it just creates distribution orders every day depending on the demand at the target location.

Does anyone knows if the optimizer run should consider transportation calendars, or this functionality is only for heuristics and/or CTM?

Is there another recommended way to model it?

Cesar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member187488
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, it should be considered by optimizer. Did you set a transportation resource on the means of transport? You may need to restrict the resource calendar the same to transportation calendar ...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ada,

Thanks for your response. I did set a transportation resource on the means of transport, however I'm using a generic resource per source location, but I'm not using different factory calendars per resource.

I wanted to use time streams (transportation calendars) since they are easier to maintain, and we would avoid having a transportation resource per transportation lane.

former_member187488
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Cesar, it seems calendar of transportation resource will overrule the transportation calendar ... You can remove the transportation resource to have test first.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ada,

As you said, the calendar of the transportation resource overrules the transportation calendar (time stream)

I tested after removing the transportation resourced and it now uses the transportation calendar.

However, if a transportation lane has a lead time greater than 24 hours, we need that the system only ships on a specific day from the location source and receives the goods on the next day at the target location.

For this example,

Source A -  Target B;  Lead time (48 hours)

Shipping is allowed on Monday – Receipts should be on Thursday

if we set Monday through Thursday as working days or periods in any of both types of calendars (resource or time stream) at the means of transport, the system will plan shipments every day from Monday to Thursday, instead of only shipping on Mondays.

Do you know if its possible to have the behavior mentioned above (shipments on Mondays, receipts on Thursdays)?

Best regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Cesar

Is shipping specific to a product or is it generic for a location? May be you can use a shipping calendar if it is generic.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Anand,

The shipping is generic for the location, but we need to take into account the specific relationship between the start and the destination location, this is why we cannot use shipping calendar.

There can be a start location that is allowed to ship everyday, but it only should ship on Mondays and Tuesdays for a certain destination,

Regards

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

satish_waghmare3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Cesar,

Optimizer uses following as input parameters but not sure whether it respects transportation calendar or not. I believe it should be otherwise why we will call that as a feasible (optimal) solution...Isn't it?

Total number of products,  locations, location products, transportation lanes and demands

May be this link will give you some insight

Comparison of the Planning Methods (SAP Library - Supply Network Planning Run)

Hope this will help.

Thank you

Satish Waghmare