cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOLMAN 7.1 SP10 install

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are going to upgrade our SOLMAN 7.1 Sp7 to SP10.

Are everyone using SUM for this?

Anyone try SPAM and JSPM?

I know what the SAP documents say, but anyone try the old way?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Joshua

As you have NW 7.1 system you have the flexibility to use any of these tools.

The point to be taken into consideration is whether the downtime is critical or not.

A SP patching using SUM will take time than the usual patching process using SPAM/SAINT.

I see the patching is from SP7 to SP10 and to me it is not a high scale patching as there is no big jump.

Lately I patched a BW system with JSPM and SPAM/SAIINT.

Using SUM lets you control the patching of the ABAP and Java (as Solution Manager is a dual stack) from the upgrade console.

If this was an NW 7.4 based system then SUM is the only tool for you.

I would go for the patching of the ABAP and Java stacks using SPAM/SAINT and JSPM just to avoid too many phases and to reduce the time required for the whole process.

I am not disagreeing with others here. It is just based on my experience and personal choice.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

THanks RB,

Its why I asked what others are using. I'm still not a fan of SUM. I like doing my engines individually.

The last one I did was PI 731 and I had to sue SUM because JSPM told me it wasn't a valid tool any longer.

I will report my findings here, about to start the process.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the input.

My last experience with SUM, I did have issues around the 1563660 - sapcontrol, <sid>adm authorization issues (SUM)

My issue as actually the DOMAIN group Policy wouldnt allow my SIDADM to log on as service to the Server. This is why my SUM could not restart the services.

Was a complicated setup to debug and if I didnt have admin on the server to view the GP Policy, I doubt I would have ever resolved it. My Domain team dont help much.

Ok I will go ahead with SP10.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Joshua,

I tried using SAINT as i would like to upgrade to SP10 and also perform some Add-on's , during checks i got a message saying BASIS SPS cannot be upgraded using SPAM / SAINT please use SUM.

May be in your case it might work , but it is recommended to use SUM .

Only suggestion is to run SUM from a file system where u have min 20 GB of free space and make sure you have <SID>ADM , DDIC , SYSTEM passwords with you .

During the installation SUM will prompt for Wily ugrade and will inform you to take backup of some file , I would suggest you take full backup of wily folder before going for upgrade as some of the files will be replaced .

Other than this the whole process is smooth .

Regards

Bhupesh A

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joshua,

jre6 or higher is needed in order to use SUM. I recently upgraded my SOLMAN using the tool. Whatever notes which are needed to be implemented before the upgrade will be asked by the tool itself after Pre-requisite check phase of the SUM.

And yeah, you <sid>adm user will be required here.

So, just go ahead!

BR,

Apoorv

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes I will use SUM.

Anything I should be aware of in terms of the upgrade?? any known issues related to SP files?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Os level password might not work in SUM for sidadm's depends on SUM version. I had the issue with SP 6 but not with SP 9 though.

If you face the issue, please follow the note 1563660.

Thanks

Arjun

Former Member
0 Kudos

We also faced similar issue means OS level password is not accepting the SUM tool.By following the

below note we resolved issue.

1563660 - sapcontrol, <sid>adm authorization issues (SUM)

Regarsd

Maruthi

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joshua,

There might be many possible ways but recommended way is to use SUM. JSPM is no more supported and so not recommeded to use.

Thanks.

Regards,
Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joshua,

Please use SUM. I tried SP 7 to 10, worked awesome !

Thanks

arjun