cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reg: Material Availability Date

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I find difficult to understand the logic behing arriving Material Availability Date.

It is not a basic question. Because I know the Availability check process and Backward scheduling process. But I am not able to understand the link between the process to arrive Material Availability Date.

Availability chek is carried with Checking group + Checking rule combination. With that we can conclude the Available quantity to promise the Customer.

But how does the Backward scheduling or Forward scheduling comes into the picture. How does the Backward or Forward scheduling getting triggered? Is it part of Availability check?

Because the quantities are confirmed by Availability check and the dates are confirmed by Backward or Forward scheduling. How does the systems synchronizes the quantity and date? Could you please explain.

I am not able to understand how does the Material confirmed on particular date and how does the Availability check helping to fix it?

Kindly explain.

Regards,

Raja Durai

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member223981
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Lets take a basic example:

Requested Delivery Date = 30th May.

A backwards scheduling will automatically be executed.

30th May - 5 days transit = 25th May; GI date = 25th May

25th May - loading time of 2 days = 23rd May; Loading Date = 23rd May

23rd May - pick/pack time of 2 days = 21st May; Material availability date = 21st May

So for the system to confirm a delivery date = 30th May, the material needs to be available on 21st May.

An availability check is executed with a required material availability date = 21st May. If the material is available, then all the above dates will be confirmed.

However, if the material is not available on 21st May, then system has to do a new scheduling. Lets say the material is available on 1st June. Then, you will have a scheduling like the following:

1st June + 2 days = 3rd June

+ 2 days = 5th June

+ 2 days = 7th June

+ 5 days = 12th June

So you have a new confirmed delivery date.

This link gives a good illustrated example

Available to Promise (ATP) - ERP Operations - SCN Wiki

srinu_s1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Noel for sharing helpful document.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Noel,

That document was really useful.

Now I have only few doubts about Availability check. Could you please clarify.

1. Basic doubt; I could see a graph with Inward and Outward movements in the given link, is it

populated based on the movements in CO09?

2. What is the base date for RLT? Is it calculated from Order date or Requested delivery date?

3. Is forward scheduling considered if we have RLT active?

4. While system does the Backward scheduling, there are possibilites, system can derive the

Material availability date in the past, Is Availability check can happen on past days?

It will really useful if these questions are also answered.

Regards,

Raja Durai

phanikumar_v3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Raja Durai,

Pl go to OVZ9 and here select the  field Check without RLT and press F1 here--all your doubts will be clarified further.

Hope this helps.

Phanikumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the hint.

I am in bench now. There is no access to SAP also. Kindly reply to questions or please post the F1 notes from OVZ9.

Regards,

Raja Durai

phanikumar_v3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

former_member223981
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. Basic doubt; I could see a graph with Inward and Outward movements in the given link, is it

populated based on the movements in CO09?

Yes, the inwards & outward movements that are considered in the ATP check are displayed in CO09. Transaction OVZ9 determines which inward & outward movements are included.

2. What is the base date for RLT? Is it calculated from Order date or Requested delivery date?

As per response from Phanikumar, check the F1 help of the field in CO09. This is the best explanation available for RLT.

3. Is forward scheduling considered if we have RLT active?

Yes. RLT is only relevant if there is no available quantity so forward scheduling can be used.

4. While system does the Backward scheduling, there are possibilites, system can derive the

Material availability date in the past, Is Availability check can happen on past days?

Yes, this depends on the customising in OVLY mentioned by G. Lakshmipathi.

Take the following example:

Requested delivery date = today (17th) February

There is a route with 5 days transit time.

RDD (27th) - 5 days transit = GI date of 22nd February.

This is a date in the past. If OVLY allows dates in the past, then 22nd will be accepted. If OVLY does not allow dates in the past, then a forwards scheduling must be executed. This will take todays date as requested material availability date and forwards schedule. 22nd + 5 days = delivery date of 4th March.

former_member223981
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

F1 Help:

End of replenishment lead time

The end of replenishment lead time is the date on which the material could be
available again if production or procurement is started today.

The replenishment lead time is calculated as follows.

• For materials procured externally:

• By adding the processing time required by purchasing, the planned delivery
      time, and the goods receipt processing time.

• For all other materials:

• By adding the in-house production time and goods receipt processing time for
      the material

• Or, if a Total replenishment lead time has been maintained in the
      material master record (MRP view), by using the time that is entered in this
      field - that is, the total replenishment lead time of the product with all BOM
      levels.

Dependencies

All times are maintained as workdays, with the exception of the planned
delivery time which is maintained in calendar days.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

phanikumar_v3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The Path also: IMG>>SD>>Basic functions>>Delivery scheduling and Transportation scheduling>>Define scheduling by sales document type...

Phanikumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Durai Raja,

Material movements can be seen in MB51 and CO09 shows Availability Overview of a Material & Plant.

RLT will be derived from Material Master.

Backward and forward schedules are considered based on active RLT

If req. date is tomorrow and backward schedule considers from today and no past days are considered.

Hope more ideas will come...

Thanks,

Bala.

<text removed as copied & pasted from SAP Help. It seems like you haven't reviewed SCN RoE. Please review & adhere SCN RoE>

Message was edited by: Jyoti Prakash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bala,

Thanks for the hints.

But I am slightly differ from your point.

Backward or Forward scheduling is not based on RLT. RLT comes into the picture when quantity is not confirmed.

If quantity is confirmed, during backward shceduling, then Forward scheduling and RLT may not be required.

I hope my understanding is correct.

Kindly somebody correct it if something wrong.

Regards,

Raja Durai

Message was edited by: Durai Raja

phanikumar_v3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Durai raja,

""""If quantity is confirmed, during backward shceduling, then Forward scheduling and RLT may not be required"""

During the Confirmation of Quantity(as per the Checking rule assigned to your Availability check)system will check the Field of RLT at your OVZ9.

If you activate(Check without RLT Field) in OVZ9--then system will Not Consider RLT while Confirming the Goods.Deactivate--Vice versa can happen.

Hope this Clears.

Phanikumar

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
But how does the Backward scheduling or Forward scheduling comes into the picture

It will come into picture through your order type based on the configuration you set to your order type in OVLY.

G. Lakshmipathi