cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ODBC for universe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please can someone clear my confusion with regards to an ODBC connection for Excel to be used in IDT.

I know we need to have two ODBC connections (with identical names) on both the BOE Server machine and Client machine. My questions are

1. Can both connections use one source excel file and both point to the same file i.e. both the client connection and server connection points to the same file that is placed in a folder on the BOE server?

2. Does both the client and server connections need to point to the excel file or the directory that holds the excel file?

Thanks

David

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

rakeshkumar_bhure
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi David,

1.     There is no need that both connections should point to same file. You can have server connection pointed to BOE file and client connection pointed to local machine file. Only difference is that, when you refresh your webi in BO server or in launch pad, you will get data of BOE server file, while when you refresh webi in rich client, you will get data from local file.

2.    You need to point to file itself.

Thanks

Regards

Rakesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rakesh for your confirmations. You have made it clear to me now.

I do however, have another question on the same topic. If I change the data in my Excel file (that is on the BOE server) and refresh my Webi from Launch pad, should that show the changes I made? It should isn't it. But it isn't in my case. It is still showing the previous version of data.

How can I get the Webi to show the latest Excel data?

Thanks

David

rakeshkumar_bhure
Participant
0 Kudos

Which version of BO you are using?

If you are using BO 4.0 or above, you can create Webi Directly on top of Excel file. Here you will get latest data from excel when you do refresh.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Apologies Rakesh.

I found out that I didn't save the excel changes. Hence Webi was showing the same excel data.

Thanks very much for your quick replies. Much appreciated.

Assigned points.

David.

Answers (0)