cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-Production Setup for Failover

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have installed my SAP Production environment on Window 2008 R2 , SAP ECC 6.0 EHP5, Oracle 11.2.0.3.

I have setup my DR system at different seismatic zone  on Window 2008 R2 , SAP ECC 6.0 EHP5, Oracle 11.2.0.3.

The Oracle Dataguard is used for data replication from Production to SAP DR system.

Now I want to test the failover scenario. I would like to go and install the separate SAP environment in primary site as Pre-Production for DR Test on different hardware box. The system identification (SID) for production and pre-production is same as RP9.

Would like to know that Can I use the same root domain controller (RDC) available at primary site for production and pre-production environment. The domain users are same  for both SAP systems.

Please clarify that does this situation will create any problem to my production or pre-production environment with same root domain controller?

or

should I go head with different root domain controller for pre-production environment ?

Regards

vimal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello

It is not recommended to have SAP systems sharing the same SID in a landscape... at least because it is not possible to have the system in the same TMS transport domain (but this can also have other drawback, especially if both system have client with same logical system name).

Even if it is possible to use the same domain users for two different systems I would not  recommend this option, especially if one of the systems is a production one...

Suppose that for any reason the SAP domains accounts gets locked / modified / deleted ...

Either you create pre-prod system with a different SID (best option) and then you can share the same windows domain, or if you are willing to keep the same SID I would suggest that you install your pre-prod system either in an other domain or in a workgroup...

If your purpose is to test your Oracle DR abilities that is not a domain related mechanism, so you can test it in a workgroup...

Regards

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yves

Just a inquiry SAP SID are same but the physical host are different is that issue?

Regards

Ram

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

I do not think it is possible to have two different systems with the same SID on the same server...

This will cause problem on many points, for instance on message server port allocation => sapmsSID port cannot be defined twice...

On different servers this is technically possible, but these systems cannot share the same TMS transport domain.

Transport can still be possible using a domain link.

The risk will be more on relations with other systems, problem may arise with the message server port definition.

At least on these systems no client should have the same logical system name.

I had to create WM clones of production system for functional test purpose but we manage to isolate them is a specific network subnet not reachable by other SAP systems, users could only connect through a saprouter.

Regards

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

1.  In that case how we can achieve the HA /DR ?

2. In thing my Question is Two different host One SID

both are in Windows, both host are running as central SAP system that mean both host are having different share

eg: host name 1 - SAP SID -TST

host name 2 - SAP SID -TST

Is this  any issues?

Regards

Ram

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Then in that HA scenario one of the two systems should be down and as they are not active at the same time there are no problem.

You should use a VIP for these hosts to avoid having changes on other systems ... (962955 virtual hostname) use sapinst option SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME

regards

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vimal

Would like to know that Can I use the same root domain controller (RDC) available at primary site for production and pre-production environment. The domain users are same  for both SAP systems.

You can use the same domain with user id's (SIDADM & SAPServiceSID)

Regards

Sriram