cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can WD Java TMS still be used if FIN_TRAVEL_1/2/3 activated?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All

My client has a highly customised version of the Travel Management

WebDynpro Java applications and are still running at version ESS 1.0 SP16.

sap.com/ess~tra/AllMyTrips

sap.com/ess~tra~tre/Expenses

sap.com/ess~tra~tre~trs/DeleteExpenses

sap.com/ess~tra~tri/ChangePersNo

The backend server used to run the ESS services has been upgraded to

ECC6.0 EHP5 and would like to take advantage of the new WebDynpro ABAP

applications introduced in business package FIN_TRAVEL_1, FIN_TRAVEL_2

and FIN_TRAVEL_3.

We would like to take the following approach to achieve this aim:

Phase 1) Technical activation of FIN_TRAVEL_1/2/3

System Regression Test

Promote to Production

Continue to use WebDynpro Java ESS applications

Phase 2) Replace the WebDynpro Java AllMyTrips, Create Expense Report

and Change Personnel number applications with customised version of

the WebDynpro ABAP.

In short, ignoring the homepage navigation, can the WebDynpro Java applications

continue to run if FIN_TRAVEL_1, FIN_TRAVEL_2 and FIN_TRAVEL_3 have been

activated. My initial testing has confirmed no adverse results, however I am very interested

to know any other experiences.

There is a very good reason for considering this approach. The deployment window

between HRSP releases is small and considered too small to try a big bang approach where the business packages

are activated, customisation for 50 countries created for WebDynpro ABAP applications Create Expense, POWL,

change employee number , test, deploy to Production and retire the WebDynpro Java applications.

The preferred approach will allow for system stability for an irreversable switch and allow more time to

create the country specific modifications.

Kind regards

Mike

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

In my opinion, what you state is correct, but I won't put my shirt on it since my company has implemented FI-TV directly with the WDA scenarios without any inherited waste. It is stated in some sources on SCN that the WDJs will not work with the BFs FIN_TRAVEL 1,2,3 anymore, but I don't see any technical proof for that. Assuming you don't have HCM_WDA_ESS_1 activated and your client's backend will not have another upgrade to a higher EHP, it should work out the way you described it.

However, seeing this intention of migration let's say at the 'verge' of EHP6 really shows it is high time to get things done, because:

Once Backend EHP6 or beyond --> NW 7.03/731 --> Portal NW Upgrade required --> XSS Java Components for FI-TV not supported for NW 731 anymore  or if you don't upgrade, inconsistencies in the calling of the business logic --> welcome to hell etc.

Cheers, Lukas

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

I do not understand your approach. Just go for the activation of FIN_TRAVEL* in test system or dev system. Rebuild your set up to WDA and than go to quality and production. From my knowledge you do not need to activate your production system right away. So just do your project and than do your go live....Or have I missed something?

Best regards,

Sigi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sigi

In an ideal world this is what I would like to do, however my client has to ensure that the dev, acc, qas environment are a reflection of Production during an HRSP cycle whch happens quarterly, so any open transports/applications must either be promoted throught landscape to Production or backed out completely.

As the business packages are irreversible switches this will cause a huge problem if we find they are not fit for purpose or are struggling to implement the applications. If we are not in a position to promote the business packages, the system alignment will be compromised which is against the rules.

Therein lies my dilemma which is why a technical promotion of business package will avoid trying to activate, regression test and implement for 60 countries all in one goal. This will mean dev-acc-qas-prd are aligned on a technical level before the fun begins in implementing the apps themselves.

Many thanks

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

than you have to set up another system only for projects or switch activation testing.

Most huge customers have a support line and a project line (so at least 5 systems).

If your system is so under support pressure I guess this would be also an approach for your client.

Best regards,

Sigi

0 Kudos

Hi Mike

Nice to see you posting here as its interesting topic that on occasion is raised, I had also suggested you post this query on the forum to see if any other customers had taken an approach to still run the WD Java as from support perspective, as I had mentioned, we have found the navigation class is complex to force WD ABAP relative to the business functions activated etc.

I will contact the moderator in the ESS WD forum also as he may have some insights on this too!

Hopefully you get some other perspectives here too!

Thanks

Sally

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sally

Thanks again. Let's see what other feedback I receive.

We will continue to use a custom homepage and already know that the navigation continues to work as required when FIN_TRAVEL_1, FIN_TRAVEL_2 and FIN_TRAVEL_3 are used.

We are only seeking assurance regarding the core application functionality for "All My Trips", "Create Expense Report" and "Change Personnel Number" continue to work. The follow on navigation from the confirmation step is not a requirement  or issue for us.

Many thanks

Mike

siddharthrajora
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I thought Sally updated this, There is no harm of using old applications even though you have upgraded to latest EHps and activated switches. as until you assign them pertinent roles only then they ll see new functionality, if you continue to use old roles , it should work fine as it was doing previously just test it holistically even the approvals thru UWL or FITV approver application