cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerBuilder won't reactivate License after update

Former Member
0 Kudos

Current;y have PowerBuilder Classic 12.5.2 build 5006 installed on a Windows 7 64bit machine.  This was licensed and activated properly.  Went to run the install again to add a missing database driver.  After updating, when I ran Powerbuilder, it came up as unlicensed.  I reapplied my license file with no success.  I then went to the SAP site and regenerated a new license key for my machine (based on my host id and computer name, which didn't change) and applied it.  Still won't activate.

Has anybody ran into this issue and how was it solved?

- - Shane - -

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shane;

I have never seen this situation ever.

What I would suggest though is

a) Try this first ...

• Locate pb125_sysam.properties in C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Sybase\PowerBuilder 12.5
  • Right click on the file and select "Properties".
  • Click on the "Previous Versions" tab. Wait a bit until the File Versions box is populated.
  • Select a version from a restore point when you knew PB to be working OK and then click the RESTORE button.
  • PB should start normally

b) running a SySam trace ...

Diagnosing SySAM Problems with PowerBuilder - SAP PowerBuilder - SCN Wiki

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris

Perfect answer.  That worked!!!!

Thank-you very much for the quick answer!!!  Now I can get to my other issues

- - Shane - -

former_member202249
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Shane,

Check Help ->About and see if you are in Grace Mode or a Valid license when using RDP to PB 12.5.2.

If you are running on a VM or through RDP you have had to use a served license and the SySAM license server since PB 11 was released.   It will appear as though you are licensed for a period of time. 

Pat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yippppeeeeee!   

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member202249
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Shane,

Can you please answer a few questions as there are common issues people run into with the behavior you are seeing above.

1 - Is this a physical machine or a VM that you have PB 12.5.2 installed on?

2 - Are you logged on locally or through any kind of RDP?

3 - Are you using a served or unserved license?

If you answer yes to either #1 or #2, you need to use a served license and install the SySAM license server.

Hope this helps,

Pat Steinhardt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pat,

Yes we are running PB on VM's on our host machines and I do RDP into my VM as opposed to connecting directly and do have use unserved licenses.  We've actually been doing that for years but this is the first I've heard that I actually have to use served licenses.  Is this something that has recently changed?

- - Shane - -

CobyKako
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Shane,

I never ran into this issue but you could try to :

a) find where your .lic file was copied to (based on the InitPath registry entry or the Initialization Path system variable from the PB IDE)

b) move it elsewhere to start PB as a trial version

c) Restart PB

d) Update your license from menu Tools --> Update License...

HTH

Jacob

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jacob,

Tried that.  No luck. 

I think something is stored somewhere in the registry as well.

- - Shane - -