Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Server CAL license

former_member323185
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

If I run a SAP central system instance that includes MS SQL Server database, the SQL Server purchased from SAP will cover Microsoft licensing requirement for database server. What if I run a dialog instance on Windows Server OS? Do I need to get Windows Server Client Access License (CAL) for each SAP named user?

Regards,

Lim

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member323185
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

For those unfamiliar with Microsoft licensing requirement for SAP, please read this link:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/saponsqlserver/archive/2012/06/15/sql-server-2012-enterprise-editions.aspx

Please note this explanation only applies to SAP central system and not dialog instance because a dialog instance does not have a database server.

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
former_member323185
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

My discussion on CAL refers to Microsoft Client Access License and not Cloud Application Library.

The second link you show me again refers to what is a Client Access License and not the CAL requirement for SAP installation.

As mention in my first post, I understand SQL Server does not need CAL and this scenario applies when installation a SAP central system that includes the MSSQL database. My question is for SAP dialog instance running on Windows OS that does not include the database.

Regards

Lim

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Wee,

Please refer details in the link.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/productlicensing/Pages/server-

cal.aspx#fbid=mR6Wx573dJO

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

former_member323185
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

The link only explains what is Windows Server CAL, it doesn't tell me the Windows Server CAL requirement for SAP installation.

Regards,

Lim

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Wee,

By definition every device connecting to a Windows server needs a CAL. However, neither the OS nor the SAP system "counts" them.

Depending on which kind of clients you have (Windows XP/Vista OEM, Volume licenses etc.) you have a CAL included.

So based on SAP users created and other users required in your landscape , you may procure respective CALS.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

former_member323185
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

May I ask do you purchase Windows Server CAL when you install a SAP instance on Windows?

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Wee,

I was not involved in procuring CALS for Windows but was involved in discussions with customer .

Regards,

Deepak Kori