cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB size increases after migration from Oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

We are performing a heteregenous system copy of an R3 4.7 system from Oracle 10g to SQL Server 2005. However during this export import we are noticing that the DB size is increasing contineously. Whereas my source DB was 5.7 TB used in Oracle my target DB has already climbed up to 6.6 TB. The Import is still on going. Also we are noticing some tables like ACCTIT are almost double in size in target when compared to the source..

Is this is a normal behaviour for MS SQL. Has anyone come across such a case before. If so , can you kindly share some links or documentations highlighting such an event and its cause.

Thanking all in advance,

Regards

Surajit

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Surajit,

I haven't experienced this before. In most of my migrations the DB has been significantly smaller but it of course depends on lots of factors on the source and the target database. And: on the target side I am usually using SQL Server Release >= 2008 as the more recent releases provide very useful features.

As I understand the import is still running. With SQL Server database objects can be compressed while there are two different types of compression, row compression and page compression. But these compression types are only available as of SQL Server Release >= 2008 - for this reason it can be possible that if the source DB was compressed on DB level (Oracle provides compression features as well) it will consume more space in the target system.

Is there a reason why you are not using SQL 2008 in the target system?

And: where did you check the DB size? Are you really looking at the currently used space? Or are you looking at the allocated size?

Regards,

Beate

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. My import got finished at 7.1 TB whereas my source is only 5.7 TB used space. Also I can see some of my largest table have grown in size to almost double. Examples are listed below;

MSEG -  205 GB ( Source ) ; 320 GB ( Target )

ACCTIT - 120 GB ( Source ) ; 250 GB ( Target )

We had not activated compression on the target MS SQL server.

@ Beate - SQL 2008 is probably not supported on the SAP R/3 4.7 version. I need to check on this though. My SAP version is R3 4.7 Ext 110.

We plan to upgrade the SAP and DB very soon as the datacenter migration is completed.

I was checking the DB size using the stored procedure ' dbcc showfilestats' and for the tables I was using ' exec sp_spaceused <Table name >'

I will check up on the compression on the source DB and get back to all of you. Unfortunately the source is a restricted system and I need to submit a bit of paper work before I can get access.

Thanks

Surajit

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Das

1. Could you paste the transaction ST04 screen shot ?

Regards

Sriram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dennis, Sriram,

Thank you for taking an interest.

Unfortunately I cant give a ST04 screenshot as my import is not yet over.

My SAP code page is non unicode and it is getting migrated as non unicode. The R3 version is 4.7 Ext 110.

We are planning to upgrade after the migration is done.

SQL Server 2008 possibly is not supported for R3 4.7 version.

Any aspect from the DB which anybody can highlight which maybe causing this situation?

Regards

Surajit

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

During the migration process your transaction log might be increasing, due to that you DB size going to more than 6 tb. Check the DB log file size?

if possible to do truncate the log

Regards

Sriram

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Surajit,

Please check the following

1) Whether OLTP or OLAP compress was activated on your Oracle database

2) Check in MSSQL whether Page dictionary compression has been activate. Details on page dictionary compression is as below.

One-time change with no repetition: Once a table is built with Page Dictionary compression, there is no need to rebuild it in order to apply compression to new content. As data is inserted, it is compressed in the pages automatically, without help from the database administration side.

 Database volume often reduced by half with migrations from competitive platforms.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Das

1. Could you paste the transaction ST04 screen shot ?

2. Presently what is the version of SAP R3 system? is this any planning to upgrade?

Regards

Sriram

former_member211576
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Surajit,

Do you use unicode? What character sets do you use? SQL server use UCS-2 so in some case it uses more disk space.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14225/ch6unicode.htm

I high recommend you try to migrate to SQL server 2008 with page compression directly.

PS: maybe ECC6 is required.