Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between types of user roles of SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could anyone help me out in understanding the difference between various types of roles of SAP such as:

Power User, Super User, Key User, Core User, End User, etc.

Regards,

Mitasha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

former_member183424
Active Contributor

I don't know Power user and Key User...

There is a chain

End User->Super User->Core User->Consultant..

End user will work only Entry level work, like as create PR, Contract, PO, GR, etc etc only entry level...

Super user will work for a support for end user... His any type of problems, he can solve it...

Core user will work for , if some serious problem occurs, then he will take care of that... If he can't solve that, then he will forward to consultant....

Consultants are doing only IMG activity jobs, which is only using t-code SPRO.

Consultants never do an entry level work.....

27 REPLIES 27

former_member183424
Active Contributor

I don't know Power user and Key User...

There is a chain

End User->Super User->Core User->Consultant..

End user will work only Entry level work, like as create PR, Contract, PO, GR, etc etc only entry level...

Super user will work for a support for end user... His any type of problems, he can solve it...

Core user will work for , if some serious problem occurs, then he will take care of that... If he can't solve that, then he will forward to consultant....

Consultants are doing only IMG activity jobs, which is only using t-code SPRO.

Consultants never do an entry level work.....

0 Kudos

So we can say Super user and Core user are same, both have the same set of responsibilities?

0 Kudos

Yes... Little bit....

Its depend on authorization.. Core user has more authorization than a super user...

Once a problem comes from end user, if super user can't solve that problem, then it will goes to Core user..

Core user checks all the things, if he also can't solve that or it can be done through IMG activity and core user hasn't authorization for this particular IMG path, the he will forward it to Consultant...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Power User: there is no such standard term as power user, but we can consider power users are those who were involved in SAP implementation, process mapping, legacy system to SAP data migration. etc.

Super User: SAP provide some default user ID at the time of SAP implementation, such as SAP*, DDIC, etc. these user IDs have most of SAP roles and profiles assiged to IT. such users are marked as Super User and assigned to Group SUPER in SAP. You can say super users are the critical users in SAP.

Key User: There is no standard term as Key User, the SAP support team member / Technical users represent as key member to run SAP smothly on daily basis.

End User: All functional users who enter the daily business data in SAP represent the end user.

Hope this will be helpful to you

Regards,

Vin

0 Kudos

hi vinod H,

I'm working for LG customer service--->i'm receiving call and registering complaint and also enter data like for purchasing so it is called as end user..please reply if it is not...

Thank you in advance

sudarshan

0 Kudos

Hello Sudarshan,

What you describe sounds very much like End User role. I assume you are registering the complaints in the SAP CRM component or in SAP system of some kind. Entering data for purchasing would most likely be done in SAP ECC.

If your colleagues are encouraged to go to you when they have problems or if the back end staff ask your opinion on what is wrong/slowing down processes, then you would be more of a Super User, but if your job is primarily working the phones and data entry, then you would be an End User.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

--Tom

0 Kudos

hi Tom,

Thank you very much for your consideration. Its too helpful for me.

My job is primarily working with phones and data entry, Yes then it will be end user job, Then question raised in my mind, if I work there Can I get an opportunity in SAP industry or with that experience should I get in SAP industry.

Or

If I worked in that company then I raised to team leader next level and so on....... and with that experience can I get in SAP industry.

Please reply

Thank you in advance,

sudarshan

0 Kudos

Hi,

Could you please tell me, if I am a Master Data steward in SAP MM and SD am I considered an End User?

What I do is create codes for materials, customers and finished products. I also offer support for the employees that encounter master data errors and I coordinate all the processes (workflow, GMD, etc) regarding the creation of the above mentioned items.

Thanks,

M

0 Kudos

As per your work and responsibility, you will be called a Super user, not an end user...

End user doesn't create master data or customer. Its a super user's job.

You will be treated as a SAP MM or SD Super User..

MM or SD not will be together....

Either SAP MM Super User or SAP SD super User...

0 Kudos

Is there any future scope as a Super user on SAP Business by design?

0 Kudos

I suggest learn SPRO activity more...

It will be very better for you....

But not for the each module MM and SD.. Just choose one module, and learn IMG activity...

Your ambition should to be a consultant....

Don't stay with the Super User designation, learn more about MM or SD module (As per your interest), and be a consultant...

In an organization, 80% value will goes to a consultant... 10 % for Core user, 7 % for Super user and 3% for an end user...

0 Kudos

Hi Dev,

Thank you for your reply. Can you please tell me more about SPRO activity? Or can you give me a link where I can read more?

I have only 9 months experience as a Master Data steward but my goal is to make a career in SAP so I would like to learn as much as possible.

Thanks,

M

0 Kudos

So if i talk about my current scenario i am working on SAP Byd as a Super User for different modules like Cash to order, Procure-to-pay, Material management, Supplier management, Invoicing, Warehouse management, Material master, etc from last 1.4 years.

I have worked with Supply Chain department for 3 months.

And, i am a MCA graduate and not good in programming at all.

Currently i have enrolled in MBA from distance learning.

So please suggest how should i proceed?

0 Kudos

I can refer you a document SAP MM Configuration

Read the document and always remember the SPRO path and t-codes..

The document almost cover all general MM configuration...

If you know about the all configuration, which is covered in this doc, you will able to give a consultant interview...

0 Kudos

To be a consultant, first choose Only one module...

I know you have the experience of various module, but for consultant, One module is enough, after 3-4 years experience, then you can go for other module as consultant...

But always will be a integrated module...

Like as if you choose MM module, the integrated module will be WM/PP/SD/FI etc...

As you have worked with various module, Then I suggest Choose one module as per your interest and learn all type of configuration for this particular module...

You can get very good opportunity because you have the knowledge of various module..

But choose and apply as a consultant just for one module...

0 Kudos

Hi Mitasha,

It's good to hear that you are touching lot of areas but..

'Get Stabilised and Deep Dive'

At initial stage of your career going forward with many areas may confuse you later.. I would recommend you to take 1 or 2 areas, do a deep dive and understand the business process thoroughly. In any software implementation, understanding /knowing business process is very critical since solutions are designed based on that.

Coming back to your original question, as Dev explained there is link between the roles.

End user is a key role, that is where the SAP career starts & where we learn the business process and its connection to SAP solution(Module/Transaction code etc.) and this user executes the daily business transactions in SAP.

As far as me, Power/Core users are more or less same, who play a role one step above the end users like troubleshooting, maintaining master data, training etc.

Consultant is someone who plays little higher level role by doing fit-gap analysis, improvising productivity & reaping greater benefits from the system, training, exploring new products/solutions etc..

All of these roles play very important role in an organisation and moving from end user to consultant gives an added advantage to a consultant.

At last, like to remind, understanding business process is key and it plays a huge role in your career later.

Hope I have added some more thoughts to your question.

With warm regards,

Ravi

0 Kudos

Hi Dev,

Thank u very much for guiding me.

Could u please explain what is integrated module?

Regards,

Mitasha 

0 Kudos

Thanks Ravi, from now onwards i will concentrate more on understanding the business process.

0 Kudos

There are many integrated modules in SAP...

Integration point are calling when one module communicate with another module..

Like as, MM communicate with FI module, when Some posting happens in MM, the posting leaves an accounting entry which is treated in FI module.

Same case for SD.. When an SD department Sale a material from warehouse, warehouse stock will decreased, and Stock decreased comes under MM module...

As like this, there many module in SAP communicate each other...

For FI-MM-SD integration, I am sharing a document to you.

Please read the document Integration Point of MM-FI-SD in SAP ERP

0 Kudos

what is the implementation part and end user in SAP-HR?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mitasha,

I would suggest u to continue your job and get experince of 2 years... after that go for SAP Certification which will cost around 2 Lakhs for online training and certifcation...If you get any chance to become a part of any SAP implementation project then get that experice..

SAP certification or 1 or 2 end to end implemention expr is best suitable for future job prospective....

Best Wishes...

Regrds,

Vin

0 Kudos

Hi Vinod,

Thanks, surely i will try to get some hands-on-experience on SAP implementation project.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Terminology differs from customer to customer and from region to region, but I would break down the users this way.

Front office: end user --> power user --> Superuser  --> Key User (Process owner)

Back office:  help desk --> Jr. Core user (2nd level support personnel)  --> Sr. Core user (3rd level support personnel) --> Consultant.

Front office users execute transactions and carry out the day to day business of the company. Power users are just experienced users that most folks go to if they don't want to call the help desk. Super Users (in the United States) are generally users who get early access to the system during it's initial implementation and are expected to support users out in the field while they do their normal job (it's a power user, but they're more experience due to a formal program during initial implementation). Key users or process owners are generally very experienced personnel who have some decision making authority. If a process isn't working correctly, this person is empowered to make the decision to have it changed. S/he doesn't do the change him/herself, but major changes don't happen without this person's say-so. Key users might be department heads but are often the person who has been in the department the longest and know the history of every system that has every been used to do whatever their task is and can trace the reason for why things were done a certain way.

Back office users support the system itself. They handle all of the support calls when things don't work right and they make changes to the system (configuration or development) when necessary. Help desks,when run well, fall into line as the first level of support and triage problems. Helpless desk folks just act as a switchboard. True help desk folks actually try to solve the problem on their own. If they can't handle it, they forward the issue to a Jr. Core User. (I've never actually heard the term, Core User, in the US, but it fits. Usually, they're called "functionals" or "developers"or "basis", but there are multiple levels. The more senior support folks set direction and do the heavy lifting when things go wrong. Consultants are usually only brought in to do implementations or upgrades and then leave once the system is working. In a perfect world, they're the most knowledgeable in the chain. In the real world, they come with different experience levels as well and canbe more or less helpful depending on that experience.  They're not really at the end of the chain as much as they are a temporary parallel chain to the support folks.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

--Tom

0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

Dev said that if I am a Master Data Coordinator in SAP MM and SD then I am a super user.

Do you have the same opinion?

Thanks,

Mady

0 Kudos

Hi Mady,

In the US, you would definitely be considered a Power user as you do more than just run your own transactions. You assist other users and are seen as a knowledgeable resource in your area. In the US, the term "Super User" is usually used as part of the initial implementation as users are brought in and trained to do what you essentially do now, act as a focal point for user questions. So yes, you would be considered a Power user or a Super user depending on the circumstances.

This puts you in a very good position to move into a more central role supporting the system. This might be a regional difference, but consultants are not considered part of an organization in the US. Consultants are brought in for implementations and upgrades, but the vast majority of the time, there is a team in-house which supports the system. That should be your next target, moving from Super User status to "back office" support role.

I wrote a blog on this a while back,FAQ: Different Career Paths in SAP, which might be helpful. Many folks fixate on becoming a consultant. While consulting is a good career path for some, it's not right for everyone. The constant travel and pressure can be harmful to your personal life and health. Working in the support organization for an SAP system has a separate, distinct career path which can be very rewarding. (It also has it's own set of pressures, but they're more organizational/political rather than the constant perform-or-die pressure of consulting.)

In either case, the path forward for you lies in getting more knowledgeable about the business processes involved in master data management. Where does the data come from? How is it used? What are the pain points in your organization that surround this area. Fixing those pain points is the responsibility of the Jr. & Sr. Core users. Find out who they are. Get involved in the process. If you identify a pain point and it gets accepted as a change to the system, make sure you are involved in assessing the fix. Ask the fixers what is involved in fixing the problem. Is it programming? Is it configuration? Invest in a good overview book that talks about SAP processes and Master Data Management.

Your goal is to transfer from the more end-user oriented day to day role you have into the support organization. Once there, many companies will provide the training you need to take the next step. If they don't provide the training in-house, they may pay for you to attend training. If they don't pay for training, many will reimburse you for training if you pay for it up front. This is all true in the US, so regional differences may apply here.

In general, though, the worst path is to quit your job and pay for training out of your own pocket, counting on the training company to get you a job after you're done. There are many posts which outline the misery and pain of that route. You're in a good position. Keep it and evolve into the position you want longer term.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

--Tom

0 Kudos

Hey Tom,

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain all this to me. As soon as i get a bit of free time i will check out that link you gave.

LEt me explain my situation a bit more. I am working on a fixed term contract which is going to end on the 31st of august this year. After that nobody knows if they will continue. At that time i will have only one year and one month of experince in master data.

WHat is left for me to do in such a case? Because i know it will be pretty hard to find a job in master data. You said not to jump into consultancy head first but all i hear is recruiters asking for sap consultants or sap trainee/junior consultants.

I Would like to be support for a company rather than implement sap or deal with the programming stuff. I see you are very knowledgeable in this domain. Could you please offer some further advice?

Thanks,

Mady

0 Kudos

Mady,

You can pretty much ignore any openings for sap consultants or  sap trainee/junior consultants at this point. You're not going to be able to compete in that job pool. Paying for training and getting certified won't change that. You are in the very uncomfortable (and common) position of "you need experience to get the job you want but you can't get the job without experience". Your best bet is to leverage the experience you have to get something similar. Ask the people you work with which companies are competitors/suppliers/vendors. You have access to the master data, so you actually know who the suppliers and vendors are! Then research each company. Concentrate on the larger ones and figure out which ones have SAP. Work up a resume which focuses on the value you have added at your current customer. Contact the HR departments of those companies you have identified. Search their individual HR websites for openings, but submit your resume to the HR department even if nothing is listed.

I actually have written a blog about this somewhere. Limited on time at the moment, so check  here.  I'm sure you'll find it.

It's good for you to start looking sooner than later, so get busy! Good luck!

Best regards,

--Tom