Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mopz during solman upgrade process???

farkathulla_cikkanther
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Friends,

We are involving in upgradation process from solution manager 7.01 to solution manager 7.1 sp10. Now we are in kernel 7.20 UC, During Mopz it is giving us option to select the kernel 7.21 only but Sap hostagent and Igsexe files are in 7.20 like below.

Weather we have to upgrade the kernel to 7.21 or not required?  What about the Hostagent and IGS files version difference?

Our other environment systems all are in 7.20 kernel, If the solman system kernel gets upgraded to 7.21 means will it support others?

And also during the stack-Dependent files selection phase in MOPZ - under the NON-ABAP section, there we can find the two files for SAP CPS FOR NETWEAVER 1. SAP CPS FOR NW 7.02 and 2. SAP CPS BY REDWOOD 8.0 like below image, which one will be suitable.

Please help us friends.

Regards,

Farkath C

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

farkathulla_cikkanther
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Friends,

Solution in my case.

SAP responded us to omit the kernel selection during the MOPZ for our above case. Sorry for late reply.

Farkath C

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

farkathulla_cikkanther
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello kervadec\benjamin,

As per PAM Kernel 7.20 UC will support Windows server 2003 and oracle 11.2 together.

Already we are in kernel 7.20 only so Can I omit the kernel selection in MOPZ? or is it must we have to continue with kernel 7.21?

If I omit kernel selection in MOPZ means, will it give any problem during upgradation???

Regards,

Farkath C

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Only 720 EXT does support Oracle 11.2.0.3.. but it does not support Win 2K3

Why don't you go as recommended with the 7.21 that does support both your OS & DB version ?

farkathulla_cikkanther
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kervadec,

Kernel 7.21 will not support Windows 2003, If 7.20 means it will support both windows 2003 as well as oracle 11g. now we are not having any plan to move windows 2008 server. So only.

Regards,

Farkath C

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

721 is supported for Ora 10 & Win 2K3, check my message...

It is wise to split the operation to avoid falling in these kind of trap:

1) DB & OS migr through system copy

2) upgrade

Regards

farkathulla_cikkanther
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

1. If we upgrade the oracle 11 first means then the MOPZ may suggest us for kernel 7.20?

2. is it must to upgrade windows server 2008?

If  point 1 fails then we have to upgrade OS/DB and SAP Application. Which one could be the better option. Please suggest me a best one to save time.

Regards,

Farkath C

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1) if you upgrade MOPZ 1st you could then select kernel 7.21 EXT,

MOPZ always propose the latest kernel version/Sp available

With Oracle 10 you can only select kernel 7.21

2) You should not operate SAP on a platform that is not supported by it's editor.

Win 2K3 is still under extended support for more than a year.

So you should consider migrating before then

For other questions review my previous answers

Regards

Microsoft Product Lifecycle Search

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello

Unless and until you have a supported OS and DB for the target release upgrading the SAP system is not supported. Get the OS and DB upgraded to the required version and then start the upgrade activity.

An upgraded version of OS and DB will only help you during the upgrade. Else you will only have time to create threads on SCN and OSS messages with SAP throughout the upgrade.

Regards

RB

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I do not think it is a big issue in the context of an upgrade to use an OS/DB/Kernel that are validated by SAP just because the operating system is out of support.

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Well my reply is not specific to this but I was speaking in general.

If the PAM is not supporting the combination he is looking for then there is no point wasting time for options. I believe the newer versions of the kernels are compiled to run on higher versions of OS and DB even though they support older versions of OS and DB but the chances of encountering issues are more with the old versions.

According to PAM only 721 EXT version is supported and only with Oracle 11G for Solution Manager 7.1. The standard 7.21 release is not supported. This is strange.

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/pam?hash=pvnr%3D01200314690900002795%26pt%3Dt%257CPLTFRM%26ainst...

Back to the stack file generation, I would select the kernel and the files which MOPZ is suggesting and get the stack file generated and start the upgrade. If the kernel is creating problems during the upgrade then I would try with 720 release kernel and see if that helps.

The stack file should be generated once the source system is ready for the upgrade.

Regards

RB

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

All the selected options are fine.

Kernel 7.21 is ok & is compatible with IGS 7.20 SAP  Host Agt 7.20 (both are not available in 7.21 version).

Kernel 7.21 has no impact on connection with other SAP systems.

If you are not using Cronacle Scheduler you do not need to select any component for CPS

Regards

1728283 - SAP Kernel 721: General Information

1713986 - Installation of kernel 721 (EXT)

farkathulla_cikkanther
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Kervadec,

Can I go with kernel 7.20?  Is it must to upgrade 7.21 which is recommended by SAP Maintenance Optimizer.

Regards,

Farkath C

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Farkathulla,

Please go ahead with 7.21 kernel.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes you can go with 7.21, but you should select EXT kernel if you are using Oracle 11.

On Windows system, there are performance enhancements in the latest SP of that kernel version.

1728283 - SAP Kernel 721: General Information

• The following enhancement applies to the EXT version of kernel 721 on Windows only:
    • Starting with patch level 100, a new optimization technology was introduced into the build process, which yields SAP kernels on Windows with significantly improved performance.
farkathulla_cikkanther
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi kervadec,

Our environement is Windows server 2003_x64 and before the solman upgradation we are planing to move oracle version from 10.2.0.4 to 11.2.0.3 then only we are going to upgrade solman 7.01 to 7.1.

As per the PAM - Windows server 2003 will not support Oracle 11 and kernel 7.21 as well as 7.21 EXT.

Kernel 7.20 UC only will support Windows server 2003 and oracle 11.2 together but the MOPZ is recommend us to go with kernel 7.21.

Can you please clarify this,

What I have to do for the further move.

Regards,

Farkath C

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Farkath,

Kernel 7.20 UC only will support Windows server 2003 and oracle 11.2 together but the MOPZ is recommend us to go with kernel 7.21.

As support to Windows 2003 does not exists, you need to plan migration of your environment to Windows 2008 R2 and then perform the upgrade to desired level

Regards,

Deepak Kori

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

According to the PAM Oracle 10 with 7.21 on Win 2K3 is supported...

Sometimes some version not marked as compatible in the PAM could be used just for the time of an upgrade.

Check the notes on 7.21 Ext it might be possible...

You could have migrate to a new Win 2K8 server before upgrading solution Mger.

=> perform a system copy combined with Oracle version upgrade

That might have save you some time...

By the way do you have that much of systems defined in your solution manager ?

Upgrade process will be long and if there are not that much of information in your solution manager installing a new system on Win 2K8 / Ora 11 would be a lot faster...

Regards