cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step of the executed script failed!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there a simple strategy for debugging this sort of error:

When it gives me a step number for the failed step, it is usually easy to tell what the problem is. When it doesn't give me a step number  it is hard to know where to start!

All suggestions gratefully received...

Steve.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

These errors are the bane of my Personas existence!

What I have discovered about this odd script error, is that the error is usually not occurring during one of your script steps at all, hence the missing step number. In order to debug, I actually do a recording of just the button push, import the recorded steps into a different script button, and then compare the two. What I discover more often than not, is that SAP is doing some odd things in the background that are not written into your script, and those are what cause the error.

Let me know what you find out.

~ Cheryl

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's a neat trick. Unfortunately, when I hit the button in record mode the script works perfectly. When I'm not recording it fails with the above error. The technical term for this is Heisenbug...!

And the recorded script fails in exactly the same way, which I guess you'd expect? Curiously, except the first time I run it after coming out of edit mode, when it works fine. As does the original. Very strange.

The script in question navigates to another screen and pushes a button on that screen. I've solved my problem by exporting the script from that button and appending it to this script that fails. As much as the duplication is a pain for maintenance, it at least works this way. I'll no doubt regret it later, but for now I just want to get something working.

A personas script debugger is on my wishlist.

Steve.

0 Kudos

Hi Steve/Cheryl,

Heisenbug is certainly not acceptable.

If the issue is reproducible, please create a message so that we can look into it.

Regards,

Sushant

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is another example of a button navigating to another screen and pressing a button, which presses another button, which presses...

Whenever I try to simplify these things, by the time I get it simple  enough to describe it, it starts working! In this case, copying the scripts from the pressed buttons into the original script makes it work. I guess the script engine is getting confused in the button chaining, somehow.

I'll try and simplify but I don't hold out much hope!

Answers (0)