cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of Maintenace of SQL 2008

0 Kudos

Dear All,

I understand that the end of regular maintenance for SAP SQL 2008 is 08/2014 . I just would like to know the % difference of the regular and extended support .

I also under the assumption that if it's of SAP releases there is quite a more cost impact than OS and DB . Appreciate your help .

Regards

Satish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184473
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Satish,

The SQL Server 2008 R2 will be supported until September 2019 because the extended maintenance finishes only on that timeframe:

Microsoft Product Lifecycle Search

Products ReleasedStartMainstreamExtended
SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise7/20/20107/8/20147/9/2019

As per note 1177356:

However, SAP recommends you to upgrade to a newer SQL Server version that is still under Microsoft Mainstream Support.

Check note 1651862 to ensure your product support SQL Server 2012 and implement the necessary SP before upgrading your SQL Server.

Regards,

Eduardo Rezende

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Satish,

SAP generally supports a database platform until the database vendor's "extended support" ends.  For your organization, using MS SQL Server, it depends on whether you receive your SQL Server licensing and support through Microsoft or through SAP.  If you get it through Microsoft, then you may need to consider your support contract.  If you get it through SAP, you are good through the extended phase.

The best way to determine this date is through the Product Availability Matrix (http://service.sap.com/pam).  Find your SAP product there, or its NetWeaver equivalent, go to the Technical Release Information tab and the Database Platforms subtab, then filter by your database platform family (i.e., MS SQL SERVER X86_64 for x64 versions of SQL Server).

As an example, in the PAM for EHP4 for SAP ERP 6.0 / NW7.01 (i.e. NetWeaver 7.0 EhP1), for ABAP Central Applications and MS SQL X86_64, we can see that SQL 2005 is supported until 4/12/2016, SQL 2008 is supported until 7/9/2019, and SQL 2012 is supported until 7/12/2022.

Be aware that if you plan to upgrade your database platform, SAP has specific OS and kernel requirements as well, which are detailed in the PAM.  You may find that an OS upgrade, or a kernel switch to 7.21, 7.41 or an EXT kernel, may be required, as well as possibly going to a higher Basis support pack.  The Note that Eduardo listed is the best resource for the requirements for SQL 2012.

Microsoft will still provide security patches for SQL Server through the Extended Support phase, you just may not receive direct problem support from them without a paid contract for such.

Regards,

Matt