cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

If i want to copy client PRD to DEV, is it necessary to logout all user from the target and source client.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Cinu
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Samson,

You should lock down all users in your Source system & Target system during the activity.

If you are looking  for Production data to be available in your test system better go for Client export/ Import method.

Regards,

Cinu

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

snehal_patel
Participant
0 Kudos

Before start client copy lock all users except basis user ID and SAP* and SAPUSER(oss USER id).

If you are following client export using SCC8 from source system.during export process only source system's users should be locked. once export has been completed,users can login do transactions after unlocking. After that you can start import process to Target system.At the import time only target system's users should be locked. after import you can run scc7. If you are using SCC9 then both systems should be locked.

Regards,

Snehal Patel

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am using scc9 and done a test run and it is successfully completed.Do i need to now do client copy again in background or it has been already completed???

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If successful in test mode just run without test mode for client copy.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok...so i have to do in background.right???

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes..you can opt schedule as background job.

Former Member
0 Kudos

actually one thing.i have created a new client and i have done test run from 000 but i haven't done it in background.now without copy from 000 client in background i have done a test run from my QAL.what should i do now????should i stop the process????

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Samson,

As it is test run you can abort it.

Schedule the client copy in background and ensure test run is deselected.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

so before making client copy from QAL should i need to copy from 000 client as it is a new client???

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Samson,

Yes. its correct. You need to first make a client copy from 000 to the new client.

Later proceed with further client copies to that client.

This helps in avoiding issues with data dictionary during client copies.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Client copy process only copy client dependent data => it DOES NOT copy dictionary objects !

You do not need to copy client 000 to your new client first...

But how do you manage to have a QAL system without any client in it, is it a fresh install ?

By the beginning of your post you were talking about copying data from PROD to DEV... it is not very clear...

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

I done the client copy from 000 client.Now i want to copy my PRD (500) to DEV (120).When iam creating RFC connection in Login & Security tab, what should be my client.(500 OR 120)????

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Follow as below:

RFC connection from DEV to PRD

Go to SM59 --> R/3 option --> create new connection ---> Target host should be PRD hostname or IP address.

On tab logon/security tab

Provide client number of PRD ,In your case it would be 500 with user password .Save the entries & perform test connection.

Hope this will help you.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to copy my PRD TO DEV.

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Samson,

Create and RFC in DEV with details of PRD like hostname, client, user and password.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

So i have to give host name of PRD and PRD client no and user in Logon & Security tab????

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes ...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank You Gaurav and Deepak.

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

Point 1 - Replacing the development environment with the production data is not a suggested practice.

Point 2 - If you still want to ignore point 1 and continue with a client copy then check the size of the client and if it is quite big then go for a client export and import.

Point 3 - To maintain data consistency you need to lock the source client during the copy. The target client will be locked to prevent user logon during the client copy.

Read this link

Client Copy (SAP Library - System Administration Assistant (BC-RRR))

In addition to the above you need to take the database space and the release and component levels into consideration before you kick start the copy.

Regards

RB

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

It is not recommended to copy production system to dev client (data volume, customizing gap...).

If you set option SRC_LOCK (expert option => /edit/expert settings) you only have to logout users from source client (through SM04)

As soon as the copy start the source client won't be available for dialog connections until the copy is done.

Regards

446485 - CC-ADMIN: Special copying options

SRC_LOCK - Logon lock in the source client

Former Member
0 Kudos

why you want to copy the data from PRD to DEV not to TST... Its not a good idea to have a production data in development client. Which method you are planning to use the client copy? Is it client export/import or remote client copy? I would suggest to use remote client copy to avoid outage on your source system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hii samson,

you should lock all the users in source client during client copy.....

regards,

praveen