cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP NW IdM 7.2 SPS 08 Start/Stop Procedure on Production

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We have newly implemented SAP NW IdM 7.2 SPS8  on our production landscape.

Apps server hosts: Identity Center Management Console+ Runtime Component+ Virtual Directory Server

DB server hosts: MS SQL Server 2008 + IdM Schema

IdM User Interface is installed on Portal system (NW AS JAVA 7.3)

Both the Apps and DB servers are on Windows server 2008 R2

I am looking for a specific procedure to start/stop procedure for IDM....I did'nt find any suitable document  which specifies this.

I mean do I need to start/stop any windows services or any other way to achieve this.

Please advise....Thanks in Advance.

Shilpa

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The only things you really need to worry about is the database and the dispatchers.

Install the dispatchers as services and treat them as normal services - start and stop as required should be fine.  On startup you'll want to try and make sure that they start after the database server or they may fail (you can set them to restart on failure).

On shutdown they *should* be ended gracefully by the OS but you might want to check it to make sure before trusting it.

The database can be treated as you would any other MSSQL database.  With care, and from a distance

Just remember - without the database, nothing starts.  Without the dispatchers, nothing is processed.

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the quick reply. Really appreciate your knowledgeable response on the issue.

What sequence should be followed in the process of start/stop i.e the Database needs to be shutdown first or the dispatchers should be stopped first...and vice versa.

Please suggest. Thanks in advance.

Shilpa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dispatchers stop first, database last

Database starts first, dispatchers last

You can drop the database out from under the dispatchers but it may lead to inconsistent object states which are a pain in the ...

Peter

terovirta
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Peter Wass wrote:

Without the dispatchers, nothing is processed.

Maybe add also UI and VDS to the list, if the database is up and running VDS and user interface will access the database directly with JDBC without dispatchers.

regards, Tero

Former Member
0 Kudos

True - although they are less of an issue.  If the UI can't talk to the database, it will just fail.  It won't cause inconsistent data in the system.

Similarly viewDS will just fail - data will not be written or read.  It might leave a job half done but you can always restart it and away you go.

The biggest problem I find with IDM is that the IDM database looses the plot around assignments and becomes a nightmare to unpick to get it back to a consistent state.

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information Peter. Really appreciate your response and help on the topic from the bottom of my heart.

Thanks again.

Shilpa

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Don't forget about event agents, backup (and other database events) tasks, VDS connections (particularly if they do writes)

Answers (0)