cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming, Adding and Removing a BPC 10 Model's dimension [NW]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi fellow SDN-ers,

I am working on an enhancement to an existing BPC model that is live, with 17 dimensions. My aim is to keep dimensionality to a minimum (improving performance and for other reasoning), we have selected an existing 'User Defined - Type' dimension to be used for dual / hybrid purposes (modelling two functions of the business that do not overlap).

I am exploring options of how to update this dimension to be dual-purpose. These options include;

• Re-name the dimension technical name, e.g. from PROJECT to PROJECT_BUSINESS_CHANNEL
  • Add a new Dimension and Remove the existing (now redundant) dimension, e.g. add PROJECT_BUSINESS_CHANNEL and remove PROJECT
    • I need to understand the impact on transactional data to do this - will removing a dimension drop that level of data or will the cube need to be Cleared and then re-loaded?

From previous reading, I understand that when adding a new BPC dimension - the transactional data will assume the member with the first ID when alpha-numerically sorted. Confirmation of this would be great.   Other considerations I have are;

• Does the cube technical name change when inserting or removing a dimension from a BPC model?
    • How does this impact on Transports to QA / Production - will it rename the existing model or not?

Obviously a third option is to not re-name the dimension and deal with it as a training area as opposed to a new development task which may be the route we use if the development overhead is significant.

Any experience to share would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Nick

Image to clarify what I'm talking about:

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

The simple way to change the dimensions in the cube is to copy existing original cube to some temporary cube, delete original cube, then create a new cube with the required set of dimension and with the name of original cube. Then using script logic copy data from the original copy to the new cube. You can create properties in the copy of the original cube to define transformation logic for script.

The technical name of the result will be different but what's the issue!

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am also looking for doing something verymuch similar to this.

I have an already existing Model, to which I need to add 2 new dimensions. Can I directly go ahead and add those dimensions without making any copy of the model and writing scripts to copy the data.

I am not deleting any dimensions, just wann add 2 new dimensions. Is there any problem I see in here. Please help with your Expertise.

In a demo system I tried to achive this, I added a new dimension, The data was not deleted. As Nick had rightly mentioned  when adding a new BPC dimension - the transactional data will assume the member with the first ID.

Thanks,

Sibi

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sibi,

No issues,

Just create new dimensions with a single member and add to the model. All transaction data will be attached to this single member. Then you can add all other members.

B.R. Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sibi,

The cube technical name will change in SAP BW, and the old cube existing but being 'inactive' in all BPC parameter tables.

When you transport this through the landscape I'm unsure how your Production cube with transactional data will respond - may require testing!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

Minor Input from my side.

1.Renaming Technical Id is not possible.

2.Duplicating dimension is possible but cannot delete existing dimension if it members hold transaction data

3.Cube technical name would change only when we go for full optimization.I dont think technical name of model would change.We can transport dimension alone but transportation wouldnt be usefule if you are unable to delete existing dimension.

I hope clear DM package would be useful to delete data of dimension members.

Regards,

Naresh