cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting and using external Web Services

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am very very new to SAP PI and SAP SOA offering. I've read some "newbie" articles (SAP PI for beginners, a how to on Soap and HTTP Post for Web Serivces Integration, etc ) and read some of the mashup stuff and an article dated April 2008 on configuring web service scenarios. However I am struggling to understand the concept of connecting to and using external systems web services using the SAP PI solution.

At a generic level what I would like to understand what has to happen for SAP PI to consumes an external web service and how an external system could access web services created in SAP. I have three broad scenarios

1) First scenario; in SAP extract data (say from a HR data), format it to meet the external system's requirements connect to the external systems web service and send the payload.

2) Second scenario; connect to an external web service, send a query to the external web service and receive the data from the external web service. Then parse the data received and update the relevant SAP system.

3) Third scenario have the external system connect to a web service in my SAP system (web service to web service) and provide data that will be used to update the SAP system.

From what I've read so far I can either do point to point connection between the external systems web service and a "SAP" web service or have the PI server in the middle. Can anyone send me links (assuming they exist) that I can follow.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1) First scenario; in SAP extract data (say from a HR data), format it to meet the external system's requirements connect to the external systems web service and send the payload.

--> from your HR system you can extract the data through IDOC's/ proxies (soap adapter) . Import the external system wsdl into PI system and send the HR data to web service using SOAP adapter.

2) Second scenario; connect to an external web service, send a query to the external web service and receive the data from the external web service. Then parse the data received and update the relevant SAP system.

---> same as above here you need to use soap sender and IDOC/Proxy receiver for HR system

3) Third scenario have the external system connect to a web service in my SAP system (web service to web service) and provide data that will be used to update the SAP system.

--> sender and receiver both are soap adapter.

There are Many blogs on the same topic. Please search SCN.

Below few blogs for reference :

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/40611dd6-e66e-2910-f383-e80fb44f9...

Message was edited by: Hareesh Gampa

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the rapid response

former_member182455
Active Contributor
0 Kudos