Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View objects not editable and marked for deletion

patrickbachmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi folks,

I just returned from vacation and to my horror I'm having a problem where I can not edit any views in a particular package.  When I open my views I get warning 'The object is currently opened in read-only mode; object belongs to ABC workspace of the user XYZ.'.  So I try clicking the 'switch version' icon and option for 'take over from user XYZ' however when i do I get an even more scary error;

'The object <MyViewNameHere> is marked for delete in the ABC workspace of XYZ user.  If you proceed with take-over, the object will move to your workspace but will not be visible in the navigator.  You may then delete the object permanently by activating it from workspace activation dialog in the Quick Launch page.  Do you want to proceed with take-over?'

So naturally this error scared me so I made sure to choose a view that I knew I no longer needed and sure enough when I take-over the object then disappears!  I checked with the user who has somehow taken over my objects and it looks like the objects are checked out on their personal workspace with an X on top of them indicating they were deleted.

How can I restore these views?  I realized I can copy each view individually with success however this is cumbersome as I have dozens of views.  Does anybody know what may have went wrong and if I can recover these?

Thanks,

-Patrick

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

justin_molenaur2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey Patrick, I take it you are using the Developer perspective in the project explorer tab?

In the past, I have had to change ownership, but nothing like you mention above. And plus I am not really using developer perspective quite yet. It sounds like this other developer checked out your package from the repositories tab and then tried to delete them.

The best person who may be able to answer this is

Regards,

Justin

patrickbachmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Justin,

Thats exactly what I think happened too.  This person checked out using the developer perspective.  They didn't mean to check out all the objects (just one) and when they saw all the additional objects they deleted (thinking it was just deleting the COPY from their local).  But I can't even edit from modeler perspective.

That's funny, I tried to summons Thomas Jung earlier but I could not as he does not follow me.    I know he's the wizard at this stuff though.

-Patrick

patrickbachmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Oh where oh where is Thomas Jung when you need him.... by the way Justin, how do you summons people like you did?  I'm not seeing this option.  I can SHARE a thread but only with people whom follow me.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Not sure what to tell you here.  The other user clearly deleted the files and the deletion was committed. It just wasn't activated. The modeler artifacts work a bit differently than other development objects.  They will go looking of inactive states in other workspaces.  For other development artifacts you could just delete that user's workspace and be OK.

The problem now is that the objects are pretty much already deleted and just pending the activation to process the deletion.  How risky do you want to get here in trying to fix them?  Can you afford to take a back up of the system and possibly restore if you mess up the clean up?  If so you might try going into the _SYS_REPO schema and with SQL deleting the inactive state for this users workspace (from table INACTIVE_OBJECTS).  This of course isn't supported by SAP, but if sucessful could remove the pending deletion status on these items and put them back to the way they were before that other user checked them out and deleted them.

justin_molenaur2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Per Thomas' response, it seems like you'll have to perform some out of the ordinary actions however you proceed.

Just another angle here. If the state of the deleted objects are not that different from what you have in other systems in your landscape (QA/Prod), maybe you can just switch ownership, let them get deleted/activated and then perform an import/export from production back into Dev.

Regards,

Justin

patrickbachmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I like your idea Justin but unfortunately it's all new development that is still sitting on our development server and has never been moved to staging.  I think what I'm going to do is make manual copies of everything, delete the originals and then copy back again.  A bit of a pain but we will call it a growing pain.

Thanks again,

-Patrick

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

timkorba
Participant
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.