cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long running apply archive log

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I had a problem when applying archive log through SQLPLUS by command "recover database using backup control file until cancel".

Usually 1 archive log just need 10s, now 1 archive log need 3 minutes. It's pretty long.

Before applying archive log, I found warning message on alertSID.log when I executed startup mount:

WARNING: -------------------------------

WARNING: oradism not set up correctly.

Dynamic ISM can not be locked. Please

setup oradism, or unset sga_max_size.

[diagnostic 0, 8, 303]

Here is the parameter on spfile and initSID.ora:

sga_max_size : 30GB

pga_aggregate_target: 6GB

db_cache_size Size: 27GB

I tried to reduce the parameters became:

sga_max_size : 4.3GB

pga_aggregate_target: 3GB

db_cache_size Size: 2GB

And the performance for apply archive log back to normal which is 10s per archive log.

Just curious here, why the parameters must be reduced before applying archive log?

Whether the OS reject the parameters? I found on the internet, this is a solaris bug like memory locking, is it true?

Thank You

Edy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Edy,

> Just curious here, why the parameters must be reduced before applying archive log? Whether the OS reject the parameters?

In general there is no need to decrease the parameters for recovery activities, but we can not determine the root cause without further information at that given point in time. However your Oracle (software) installation seems to be screwed ("WARNING: oradism not set up correctly.  Dynamic ISM can not be locked.")

Dynamic ISM is a memory management feature of Solaris and oradism needs to be setup correctly (root permission) for getting it works as designed. Please check the permission of oradism.

shell> su - ora<SID>

shell> ls -la $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oradism

Further information about Dynamic ISM can be found in this white paper: Dynamic SGA Tuning of Oracle Database on Oracle Solaris with DISM

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Permission of oradism is owned by root. Whether I missed something configuration on OS? FYI we running on Solaris 10.

Thank You

Edy

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Edy,

Please check the following

The permissions for oradism must be 4550 with the setid for the group.

(-r-sr-s--- 1 root dba 12912 Feb 16 2005 oradism)

Solution

1- cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin

2- chmod 4550 oradism

3- chmod g+s oradism

4- chown root:dba oradism

5- Bounce the database

If that does not help, then try removing the parameter sga_max_size and bounce the database.

Check the results after this.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Thank you for your response.

Yes, for the workaround I already reduce the SGA_MAX_SIZE and start the database. The result for applying archivelog is OK. And I adjust again the parameter for the best performance.

But, I confuse why the SGA_MAX_SIZE must be reduced first before applying archivelog ?

Please give me your though.

Thank You

Edy

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Edy,

11G Oracle Database uses DISM if it’s available on the system and  MEMORY_TARGET or MEMORY_MAX_TARGET parameter is set by the user. By default, from Oracle Database 11gR2, the installer sets MEMORY_TARGET, thereby invoking DISM. When MEMORY_TARGET is in use, the default is to allocate 60% of the available memory to the SGA (remaining 40% is allocated to PGA).

Oracle Database uses ISM if the entire shared memory segment is in use at startup or if the value of SGA_MAX_SIZE parameter is equal to or smaller than the size required for all SGA components combined.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Currenly, I used Oracle 10.2.0.4.

Whether the concept above valid for Oracle 10.2.0.4?

Thank You

Edy

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Edy,

Yes it is available for 10g database as well..

Administering Oracle Database on Solaris

https://blogs.oracle.com/hippy/entry/problems_with_solaris_and_a

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Answers (0)