Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rev 71 - ready for production or not?

Former Member
0 Kudos

1974423 - SAP HANA SPS 07 Database Revision 71

CAUTION:

• Due to an error in the Calculation Engine optimizer, you might get not correctly aggregated data in some cases of in-memory planning scenarios.
    As a workaround set the following parameter within indexserver.ini (section calculation engine):
                 opimize_filter_remove_attributes = 0

• Wrong data result are returned under the following conditions:
    - There is an equality condition between a grouping column and a constant (e.g. sclas = 'new').
       Note that this should be over a grouping column.

- There is an outer join. And this column belongs to:
       1) the right-side table for the left outer join or
       2) the left-side table for the right outer join or
       3) any side for the full outer join.

Example of the query pattern where this occurs:
    "select  a.objid, a.otype, k.sclas
      from    a left outer join
                (select   otype, sclas
                 from     t2
                 where   sclas = 'new'
                 group by otype, sclas
                ) k on a.otype = k.otype;"

Due to those two issue it is not recommended to apply SAP HANA Revision 71 in productive systems. Nevertheless using it for testing and proof-of-concepts is not critical.

The fixes for the mentioned issues are planned to be released in CW 08/2014.

==---===---===

What does it mean?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

justin_molenaur2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Looking at the same thing now, it's pretty straightforward from the description, but I am wondering what the real story is here. Why would this be released if it's not recommended to be used in production? Seems a little rushed?

Regards,

Justin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, i am confused too.

Any information?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Because there are some bugs in Rev.70 systems that means people need to upgrade and also some Rev.69.x customers that need an upgrade path.

My guess is the bug was found very late on and they wanted to get the release out for people who really needed it. Maybe   can chime in.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michael can you?

John, maybe you know. Is there any information about planning GA dates for Rev 72 and 69.04?

justin_molenaur2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, on the face of it, SAP is not recommending anyone take this revision into production, period. So in reality it does not provide a new viable upgrade path for a production system for customers on rev 70 or 69 - 69.03. As detailed in my response to Mikhail above, only rev 72 will provide this.

At a customer I am working with, they are on 69.01 and were hoping for rev 71 to be able to take them to SP07, but not sure I can recommend that at this time. That mentioned issue with the left outer join is bound to happen quite frequently. That is essentially grouping by a non joined dimension attribute when a filter is applied to the dimension, kind of core OLAP style querying.

Thoughts?

justin_molenaur2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Mikhail, from the details in the note listed and also from 1948334, we can see that the fixes for the cautioned items in 71 should be delivered in 72, which (from what I can understand) is listed as "planned for CW 08/2014", which I interpret as Calendar Week 8 of 2014, ie end of February.

Note 1948334, shows the following

Current Revision - 69.01, 69.02, 69.03

Possible Target SP revision - Update to revision 71.00 (for testing an PoCs systems) or planned revision 72.00 (CW 8 2014).

Maybe someone with more robust revision knowledge than I will chime in here.

Regards,

Justin

Former Member
0 Kudos

> s listed as "planned for CW 08/2014", which I interpret as Calendar Week 8 of 2014, ie end of February.

May be i am wrong but CW08 - it's period from 17.02 - 23.02 isn't it?

Former Member
0 Kudos

>At a customer I am working with, they are on 69.01 and were hoping for rev 71 to be able to take them to SP07,

We're the same situation)   Be or not to be, go to SPS7 now or wait - that is the question.

justin_molenaur2
Contributor
0 Kudos

A least for me, there is no question - you need to wait for 72 to get onto SP07. 71 is not for productive use.

Regards,

Justin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Justin, it's not quite as black and white as that, in my opinion.

For customers on productive systems, they clearly should not upgrade to Rev.72.

However there are many more who are considering upgrading to SP07, have an ongoing project or PoC, or need some of the fixes but don't intend to go to go live in the next few weeks. There are definitely systems on which I will be applying Rev.72.

Unfortunately it is a bit of a mess, given we waited over 2 months for Rev.72 and didn't get a workable revision. I have customers on Rev.70 who really need a patch.

justin_molenaur2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Agree with your statements. My comment above was geared toward a production upgrade path, which Mikhail was interested in (I assume), for which 71 provides no relief

Regards,

Justin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for misunderstanding, but once again going to the point.

Should we upgrade our productive system to Rev.72 or note?

thanks indeed

justin_molenaur2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, once 72 is available you can upgrade your production system, given there are no additional cautions from SAP around it. Your only other option from 69.01 is a maintenance release of 69.02 or 69.03, which only makes sense if you have specific error you are trying to resolve.

Regards,

Justin

justin_molenaur2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Mikhail, revision 72 is now available with no reported issues in the release notes.

Regards,

Justin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Happy days. I've updated all my systems to Rev.72 and they're all good so far.