cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM Remote Key Usage

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to understand the scenarios where MDM remote key really should be used. Should be used always or only case-by-case. Some strong benefits are below:

# Remote Key is required for the very fundamental purpose of consolidating same master data object flowing in from different remote systems, but uses different codes to represent the same master data object. (eg. it must be the same customer with same name, but different system assign different customer number to it).

# Data Integrity check in a parent-child scenario. For example - in an alternate-payee/main vendor scenario where these vendors flow from legacy to mdm to ecc and then some updates are done against these vendors in ecc and changes flow back to mdm, for some reason alternate payee with updates did not flow into MDM and when main vendor with updates flows into ECC mdm checks the availability of alternate payee in MDM - although it finds the alternate payee vendor (came in from legacy), it does not find the remote key - ECC against it and fails the main vendor file. This way MDM helps to ensure updated alternate payee should be flow in first before main vendor.

There are cases where remote keys are not required when all the remote systems refer the master data object using same code. But even in this case, is it recommended to configure remote key so that to accomodate in future a new system is added which uses different code for master data objects.

Is this a true statement? MDM Xperts, please share your thought?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

abhijeet_mukkawar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Subin,

It totally depends on your scenario. I think its helpful to have remote keys assigned.

In addition to the couple of scenarios you listed, I think remote keys can also be used - we have implemented this in our case - when table doesnt have any unique field defined and vaules may be repeating. In this case you can define some remote key which will help in import of data into the table to uniquely identify the relevant record.

but as I said, its totally need based. However, if we are unsure of future requirement, its always helpful to make the provision for this now.

-Abhijeet

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subin,

Yes the above statements holds true.Having remote keys always helps as it can help a solution to evolve further i.e new remote systems integration,Data consolidation requirements etc.

It is not essential in cases where we want to maintain MDM specific data only.

Thanks,

Ravi

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

just like it said, if you have the situation then you use it, if not, just don't use...just that simple