cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Type issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

In our warehouse we needed more than 30 storage units which already created.

Now the challenge is how to manage them in storgae type seacrh table ?

Any idea on this will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

OM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As others have mentioned, the maximum that can be practically used in the context of automated stock placement and removal strategies is the number of columns in the configuration table.

It may not be helpful at this stage of your project, but you may want to re-evaluate why there are so many storage types defined.  I have never seen a warehouse complex that would actually require a quantity that would max out the table, but of course it could definitely exist.  I don't necessarily agree with Vimal Pudupalayam's response that the number should be limited to 4 or 5.  There is no "magic number" to stay within, but in general you want to keep the number as low as practicable for the ways in which the materials move into, within and are removed from the warehouse.

The possibility may exist for you to consolidate some of the storage types if the only reason some of them are defined is to simply segregate physical space.  If adjacent storage types use the same placement and removal strategies (all other settings for the storage types held equal), they can be combined and you can use other methods, such a Picking Areas, Storage Sections, or the bin sorting criteria in the bin master records, to route the picking and placement logically within the newly combined storage type.

Hopefully this will help you reach your goal.  Otherwise your only possibility may be custom ABAP development that would utilize a replacement table of greater capacity.

Good Luck!

Jason Kenzie

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

mihailo_sundic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Question is answered but I feel that more info would help to help the poster,
as I have implemented exactly the same thing in one of the implementations.

Unfortunately, there was a need for about 80 storage types, since it was a very complex
environment and with some correlations that forced us to make those as storage types
and not distinct by sections, or any other method possible in WM.

But the modification was pretty much easy:
Create a custom table with the same structure, only give it more columns, e.g. 99 or more.
Make it maintainable by SM30 for easier maintenance.
Find the occurrences of standard table and change it with custom table.
Change the code where needed to allow for searching through more than 30 records.

It is working fine for the client for more than 2 years, no problems whatsoever so don't
hesitate to do this modification.
Not only that, we have implemented custom table for allowed bin type per SUT and it is
also working perfectly. Go for it.

Hope this helps,
Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Om,

I suggest to reorganise your warehouse not to have more than 4 or 5 storage types. This is going to be extremely disorganised to have more than 4 or 5 storage types. Kindly keep the unorganised storage methodologies into a open storage type.

Truly,

Vimal

guillaume_bouzebra
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

Do you want to allow for a specific storage type only a subset of all the storage unit types you have defined?

Because if you have more than 30 st. unit types and you want to allow all of them for a storage type, one entry with '***' will be enough...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Guillaume,

sorry it not storage unit it is storage type .

If we give '***' in storage type search table then how the sequence of priority will get defined ?

Can we use two lines for stock removal in storage type search table ?

Regards,

OM

guillaume_bouzebra
Participant
0 Kudos

I don't think it's possible to define more than 30.

You may neeed to work with some indicators to split the search with more criteria.

But I don't really understand how you came to that issue.. Could you give more details about what you are trying to achieve?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guillaume,

My requirement is below :

I have 40 storage type and i have maintained single stock removal indiacator for all 40 storage type.

Now in storage type search table how to assign stock removal indicator for 40 storage type ?

So as you said ***  will function properly for stock removal ?

Thank u

Regards,

guillaume_bouzebra
Participant
0 Kudos

'***' in the storage type search will execute a stringent FIFO removal (so it will look in all your storage types and take the one that contains the oldest material). If you want to tailor this stringent FIFO, you can use the exit MWMTO013.

But the quick answer to your question is that you can only restrict to 30 storage types per movement type.