SAP for Mill Products Discussions
Explore conversations about production optimization, resource utilization, and quality control using SAP in the mill products industry. Join in or start your own!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make-for-me Production Model

pratik_soni
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Friends,

I found one good article by SAP Make for Me future which discuss on an emerging production model called make-for-me.It discuss on different emerging technologies which can make this model a reality. it also discuss on what changes it brings in existing manufacturing systems.I have tried to summarize this document. for reading full document visit following links

1. Make for Me future
  2. Can Customisation be profitable

Explaining Make to Me Production Model

Currently there are two main production strategies being applied in manufacturing i.e Make to stock and Make to Order. In both this strategy companies receives only necessary inputs from customers like size quality etc. but the design of that product is made by the company itself. But what happens if company provides customer control to design their own products? i.e. make your own product. This can be now possible as technologies like 3D printing and CNC machines are becoming affordable and collaboration technologies are getting wide spread.for

for e.g.

• Volkswagen who provided their customers to design their carmaker's Polo version by controling 3D printers.
  • Cococola has created its freestyle retail fountain where buyers get ability to create their own flavours
  • Ford Motors has created a modular enginges which can be created in different variations like from 4.8 litres to 6.8 litres

What are those emerging technologies which supports this model

• 3D Printing which will be affordable and it will also possible to build up layers of materials like ceramics, steel, bronze etc besides plastics.
  • Computer numerical control (CNC) machines: As cost of computing powers gets decrease it become affordable to replace man operated machines like mills, lathes routers etc.
  • Laser-powered machines:
  • 3D scanners
  • Single-ply cutting machines
  • Collaborative technologies (as per my view)

What changes will bring to traditional manufacturing facilities and supply chains?

• Retooling production lines and back-end systems to increase agility: Tools can be swapped out easily to manufacture different variations of products based on need rather than guessing on demands.
  • Giving Customers tools to customise: Providing ability to customers to design their own products
  • Change in Information Technologies: According to Peter Spielvogel companies will require an ability to track the records of individual customers over different channels which will require big data and real time analytics.
  • Customer Co Innovation.

SAP has inquired some of the Manufacturing experts about whether this model can be viable in light of existing mass production. According to them

Mass production is cost efficient but it will require sacrificing of some of their needs on the part of customer in exchange of cost and efficiencies. Also changing sociological mindset will effect the buying pattern of customers who will focus more on quality and customisation of product rather than qunatity.

So what are your views on how it will affect Mill Products and Mining industry?

Hope it would be helpful.

Regards,

Pratik

References

1. Make for Me future
  2. Can Customisation be profitable
2 REPLIES 2

0 Kudos

Interesting discussion, yes. There was a similar article around industry 4.0 and "the return to the unique lotsize 1 product" in a German weekly paper, and the prerequisites of information technology on the shop floor.

Will we move to a lot size of one in mill? Will we see mass customization in our industry?

First of all, which is "our" industry. I would say that I do not expect any customization (except maybe with regard to colours) in cement, concrete, pulp and paper and similar industries.

If you move closer to the end-consumer in the value chain, this may be different. Building products like doors, windows, frames, even tiles, and even sanitary ware are obvious products where people would like their own style and features with it. To a certain degree those are already MTO today - at least if you order a large enough quantity.

I have not seen this level of make-for-me personally in our industry, but would expect rather sooner than later. Order tiles with an uploaded & self-created design, or carpet and curtains with your own "tartan" - why not.

An important question will be the effect of lot size on cost per piece, or the impact of set-up time. We  have to find ways to manufacture where it does not make any difference whether the next item has the same or a different spec. Thinking only of color application, this may require some smart engineers. Currently you have to go from light to dark colors and do a thorough cleaning of your equipment before you can return to light colors again. The faster you cycle, the more you clean - at least with todays equipment.

Regards,

Stefan

PS. Well, after a bit of research I have to say, the sky is not even the limit: NASA's 3D printer makes pizzas for astronauts | NDTV.com

0 Kudos

Thank you Sir,

Your comments were very useful.

I think as you said Building and those of aesthetic value like tiles and flooring will attract creativity of the customer and so customer will demand colours and features of their own style.

I also agree your argument regarding the log size on cost per peice.This model is great but it should evaluated from cost and other factors also.

My opinion is slightly different on one point. In some of the Mill industry customers are concerned not only about its color and look but also the desired quality and timelines of the product especially in the medical application for e.g. Heraues a SAP customer is a precious metal product company who provide their material in dental fillings. Now each person have different teeth shape and size which require precision in manufacturing their product. slight variance in quality may lead to inconvenience to patient which lead to customer dissatisfaction.Currently dentist do 3D scanning of the teeth of the patient and provide to the company based on which company provide them their product as per their requirements. if this make for me model is used the 3D scan done by dentist will automatically used by 3D printer for making the exact size and shape of metal product they want.and it will take less time to produce than traditional manufacturing process. So in my opinion where quality and precision is more important to customer this model can be applied there.

Please visit following link to know more about the process of Heraues

Standardization and Transparency on the Shop Floor with SAP and Heraues | SAPPHIRE NOW

Regards,

Pratik