cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual stack split: Use existing Java stack?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am going to split a BW dual stack (SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EHP1) and am wondering if I can use an existing Java stack?

I thought about using the "Keep DB" option and instead of installing a new Java system and then connect a stand-alone Java stack through the Template Installer in NWA.

Does anybody know if this is supported by SAP and in case of yes, where I can find documentation about this procedure? E.g. which release dependencies and support packages on java side are needed (now and after upgrading the remaining ABAP stack to 7.4)?

Best regards,

Sebastian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

BorisZarske
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Sebastian,

For SAP NetWeaver BW, it can be a valid option to just de-install the existing BI Java part and re-install it. Then, you can use the BI Java initial setup templates of configuration wizard to re-establish the connection between the (then single-stack) SAP NetWeaver BW ABAP system and the new BI Java system.

Instead of installing a new BI Java system, you could then also use an already existing Java stack, if it already contains usage type BI Java and has the right version. Then, you would not have to perform the whole dual-stack split procedure, but would only use the last part that removes the Java parts from the former dual-stack system (as described in the dual-stack split guide) - there is also corresponding information provided on thepage.

But with either of these two approaches, you would lose any additional data stored in the Java schema of the former dual-stack system. While this should not be an issue for scenarios where the Java part is only used for BI Java, it depends on how the Java part was actually used in the former dual-stack system.

If you rather plan to connect the existing Java stack against the Java schema in the former dual-stack database to persist the Java schema data, I am rather sceptical that this would work... But if you explain your planned approach a little bit more in detail, I could approach the responsible developers accordingly.

Best regards,

Boris

Answers (0)