cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dev system refresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We just received a request from our client to do a system refresh for dev and test systems.The problem mention by the client are inconsistencies for program  between the environments .

For test system it's not a problem, but it's the first time for dev environment.

From what I know and what I read a client copy can't help me in this situation when I need to add also the program. So I suppose, I must make a system refresh for dev system.

It is any other way to refresh data from dev without business data?

If not, and I must do this system copy for dev I must understand all the risk .From what I find until now, the main problems same to be version control for the programs and additional space for db, but I'm not sure if this it's all.

In order by be able to find all possible issues, can you please tell me what are the main steps for dev system refresh and if are other possible risk before starting?

My systems: dev->test->prod

dev = prod (OS= AIX, SAP ECC 6.0, SAP_BASIS-701-0013,SAP_ABA-701-0013, SAP_APPL-604-0009, SAP_HR-604-0061)

Best regards.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would take a complete cut-off for development system and create new Dev box, as below:

1) Move all the "work in progress" changes to production

2) Create new customizing client

3) Perform client copy from Production (SAP_CUST profile)

4) Sync all the workbench changes between Production and Development (Manual effort)

5) Release new customizing and workbench clients to users

6) Delete old clients

If you have enough space, you can perform below as well:

1) Export client from Development (Old clients)

2) Do a system copy from Production

3) Create new clients and import clients (of activity#1)

4) Release system to users

*Production client can be used as Unit testing client and the Workbench client

Regards,

Nick Loy

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

Read this SAP note to find out how can the versions be transported.

130906 - How can versions be transported?

Secondly refreshing the development system with the production data is not a standard practice.

It is any other way to refresh data from dev without business data?

This can be achieved with the help of TDMS. If there is no option to use TDMS then you might need to do a client copy from the source client to the target client with the required CC profile after restoring the production backup.

Once the client copy has been completed then you need to delete the source client.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos
  1. It is any other way to refresh data from dev without business data?

No, you need SAP TDMS or third party tool like (EPI-USE.. etc)

2) In order by be able to find all possible issues, can you please tell me what are the main steps for dev system refresh and if are other possible risk before starting?

Pre-steps for system refresh

•    Capture STMS configuration and also note down the last transport release (E070 table)
  •    Capture info of SM59, RZ10,SMTP,SMICM,SMLG, RZ12, SM69, Ops-mode(rz04)
  •    Capture information in devaccess table for developer key
  •    Users master record (security roles, users,users passwords)
  •    version export (you already mentioned)
  •   number ranges
  •   certs (strustsso02)
  • All in-flight changes in dev system should be released or saved, which are not in PROD system.

Thanks

Shaik