Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check Points / Control Parameters for the QM Module

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts, 

Since we are dealing with Business scenarios for the manufacturing industries,

As per Standard every industry set for the process parameters,control parameters,work instructions,standard operating systems,identification of the critical parameters which then help in failure mode and effect analysis and process failure mode and efefct analysis.

Such process help for both DESIGN and Quality,PRODUCTION to curb the quality of the products/Process,

Since we are long go on SAP QM Module,I would liked to request QM Experts to share their views on check points / control parameters to

ensure the smooth running of the SAP QM module for the day to day activities,

Many Experts may include key factor as the master data ,

Pl. think beyond this,

your comments will really apprecites,

with regards,

Devendra

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In all seriousness,

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but here are a few things I tell my clients:

- Lab managers really need to know how to use QA32.  Create variants for it, reorder fields, sort, create totals, add dynamic selections, set up selection ranges, modify date variants, etc....

- Lab managers need to monitor QA32 for lots with CRTD daily.  They should have a selection profile or variant just for this.

- Lab managers or QA personnel need to run QVM2 (lots with stock), on a daily basis and know what should and shouldn't be on this list

- The business needs a strong process for removing expired material and along with that managing blocked stock or restricted stock.  Each plant should have one person who is ultimately responsible for this stock regardless of how or why it got there.  They are responsible to goad/cajole/push/threaten people to rework, sell, burn, scrap, landfill, recycle or otherwise get this material out of blocked or restricted stock.

- Monitor the aging of stock... Even though products may have no shelf life requirements and never goes bad, if you haven't sold it in two years, you aren't going to.  (I know.. exceptions to everything).  But carrying inventory is a cost. Having old material of anything is not good.  Few products appreciate while in inventory.  GET RID OF IT!! Fire sale it!  Donate it!  Don't make more!!!

- Trust your employees.  Don't insist on putting in a thousand checks in the system because you don't trust your employees.  If you don't trust your employees and aren't confident in them, you have a bigger problem then your SAP system.  Building a heavily customized system with lots of checks and balances ultimately costs you money.  And it costs you more at every upgrade, hot pack installation, migration, or future customization.  You are often better off spending that money on training and upgrading your employees and on employee retention.  Customizations should be aimed at assisting employees with a job, not trying to do everything for them.

- Not every CAPA needs a matching customization!  Sometimes people just make a mistake. 

- If employees keep making the same mistake, it's because someone allows it to keep happening.  Hold employees and especially managers accountable.  Yes.. you may need to move or fire someone once in awhile if retraining and warnings don't work.  Don't implement computerized solutions to cover bad management or bad work habits.  You'll just postpone the inevitability of dealing with these people.

- Manage returns carefully.  Most places are too quick to restock the items and resell.  Quarantine and have a formal release process.

- Invest in good master data PEOPLE.  80% planning, 20% execution!  Seriously consider a central data management team for quality.  Spreading responsibility out to ten different people in multiple plants will ultimately lead to ten different ways of doing things no matter how hard you try.

These are a few of my observations over the years.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

you have explain your expertise and experience in system,

I really do agree with your statement, --'Trust your employees.  Don't insist on putting in a thousand checks in the system because you don't trust your employees.  If you don't trust your employees and aren't confident in them, you have a bigger problem then your SAP system.  Building a heavily customized system with lots of checks and balances ultimately costs you money.  And it costs you more at every upgrade, hot pack installation, migration, or future customization'

I just wandering in QM that to run system smoothly as mentioned few points by NITIN JINAGAL,

I also do agree with u not to make so any custumization/inetrlocks, But QM consultant should know such SAP SYSTEM CONTROL PARAMETERS,

Your valuable inputs will be really appreaciated,

With Regards,

Devendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Your query speaks in very general terms and you are looking at QM's big picture for an implementation project. QM isn't just about controlling and check points. There are several other functionality.

Master data will always remains a Key factor.

Other than that, you first need to understand the business. QA's integration with different departments.

Thereafter, it is needed to be identified what is going to be mapped in SAP and what's not. Here, you would certainly follow the client. If you yourself is client, QM consultant is going to do this for you.

In QM module, you can inspect/ analyse the goods. Have the results and control on their basis. You can manage the vendor, customer complaints, notification system, follow up actions, inspection costing, control charts etc. You can control the user control. There is lot in QM module. More you explore, more you find.

Plus do the developments to map the processes, reports and other functionality where you don't want to adopt the standard system of SAP or need some modification or anything else.

If you need to inquire about something specific in QM, please search in SCN.

If don't find a solution, create threads with specific query following SCN rules.

I hope this adds something to your understanding.

ntn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Your inputs were valuable,

I am looking for something interlocks so that user could not ctreate mess or damage the system,

Regards,

Devendra

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Master data is again another factor which is responsible for smooth functioning of SAP.

Responsibility of Master data management is owned by one or two persons max i.e Core user (s) generally. This helps in keeping the integrity of system and prevent damages.

Another part is regular and daily transactions. Mostly done by end users. Control the authorization with the help of Basis team and provide limited access to carry out transactions. e.g in QM,

• End user is authorized to do result recording and give usage decisions. Do not authorize him to change Usage decision. Give this access to power users.

Above is just a basic example for understanding. Most of things can be controlled in similar manner. System is handled by Core user and corrections are done by power users. They collectively don't go beyond 4-5.

Besides, training manuals and sessions are another important factors to make the users aware of the system. They need to be held frequently for training and feedback as well.

ntn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

your inputs are valuable,

Let us wait for the QM Experts comments,

Regards,

Devendra

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"I am looking for something interlocks so that user could not ctreate mess or damage the system,"

Yeah.. I'm still looking for something like that myself!!! 

Craig

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Lol 🙂