cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom error pages in Portal 7.3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

I am trying to capture all runtime errors/exceptions in Portal and show a relevant custom error page.

I have done the following :

1. Using the reference link:( Configuring the Web Dynpro Runtime Environment - Developing Java Web Dynpro Applications - SAP Libra...), I have changed the Development Mode to false. However, this results in a blank page to be displayed. In trace, it returns the correct HTTP error response code.

2. Using the reference link:( http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/en/48/7ebe5cf9fa3ff6e10000000a42189c/frameset.htm ), I have uploaded the custom error pages and this seems to take care of my ICM/Dispatcher related error.

However, I want to know if it is possible to capture all J2EE / Dynpro for Java runtime error/exceptions and show custom error pages.

Can this setting be maintained at a single point or if it needs to be done at application level?

While configuring Web Dynpro Runtime Environment, there is a parameter errorpages, can someone please share what properties can be maintained under this so that it points to custom error pages.

Regards

Ramanender Singh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ramanender,

Another incident was raised for this issue you reported, so I will post the solution here.

Due to some serious security mishaps in the adminadapter service it was posed additional security in this service protecting all its API methods. Thus now when somebody wants to use the adminadapter

service to get some service property - the call should be done by user with proper rights. Such users should be either part of the "Administrators" role or should be part of a role having one specific action with name "read_action" assigned to the role.  There is no other way to avoid this issue.

The note which introduced the additional security is SAP note 1755108 and there you can see the product versions and SP levels that are affected.

Adding to all the "problematic" users to a role with "read_action" assigned will resolve the issue.

Best regards,
Shimon Zafrir
SAP AGS Product Support

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shimon

I too had raised an OSS incident for this and got similar reply but I forgot to update it here.

Thanks for posting the solution. It will be helpful to others.

Regards

Ramanender Singh

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm afraid with newer portal versions, modifications of the SAP standard are required. See SAP note 1718909 for details.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Samuli

Thanks for the reply. I had read that note but I am a bit hesitant to change the standard applications. So I was hoping someone would have found a workaround.

Further reference point 1 in my post, when I set the developer mode to false, at the time of a runtime error, the portal just shows a blank page. Is there is way to show a standard error page which does not contain the stack trace or the highly detailed information about the occurrence of error?

Regards

Ramanender Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Blank page, really? I haven't seen that before. Can you have Fiddler, HttpFox or HTTPwatch running while the blank page is returned? It would be interesting to know what is responsible for the blank page. You might also want to try setting parameter is/HTTP/show_detailed_errors = FALSE, see the documentation for details.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The developer mode set to false works fine in most cases. If there is some exception which is not handled in an app and it used to throw up stack trace with server details, now only shows the LogId.

The blank page is shown in the following scenario:

I have two tabs open in the browser, and I log out in tab no. 2. However the application screen is still open in tab no. 1, and when i interact with this tab no. 1 application i.e. submit a page or fire a button event, a blank page is shown. I checked the network trace and found that in this case for HTTP POST request, the response code is 400 for url:

<server>:<port>/webdynpro/resources/sap.com/pb/PageBuilder

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's sounds like the designed behavior. The tabs share the session and logging off from one tab invalidates the session in the other tab as well. You could check defaultTrace to be sure.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The session expiry across all tabs is a desired outcome. The blank error page was something which was a point of concern. I checked in my default trace and could see that it is an authorization issue.

After expiry of session, the "Guest" user is not allowed to access the error pages due to authorization.

Can you guide how this authorization for standard error pages can be granted to Guest/Anonymous user?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Since the error comes from the Page Builder, you might want to have a look at steps 6 - 9 of SAP note 1031159. That said, I think the error page should be displayed to everyone (Guest). Maybe it is a side-effect of having DevelopmentMode = FALSE. I would suggest you to create a customer incident to SAP support to get their take on it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Samuli

I have raised an Incident with OSS and still await their reply. However i came across this link:

Defining Custom Error Pages Handling - Administration - SAP Library

It says that the custom error pages can be maintained in an application which can then be configured as a parameter using config tool. Do you have any idea how this can be achieved?

I have deployed a J2EE ear in portal and provided the application name "customerror_ear" in context root parameter value and "\default.jsp" as location. This however is not working as desired and I still get the standard detailed page.

Regards

Ramanender Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.