cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloud Portal without Cloud Platform?

mig1
Participant
0 Kudos

I'm trying to understand the licensing for the Cloud Portal in relation to the Cloud Platform.

The Cloud Portal is stated to support easy connection to on-premise backend systems. With an attractive pricing, this alternative looks promising. Can I run the Cloud Portal without a subscription for the Cloud Platform? It's not clear in the SAP Store or anywhere else.

I have tried using the Cloud Platform and Cloud Connector to execute RFCs on-premise. Works as expected. How can I do the same for the Portal?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mig1
Participant
0 Kudos

To follow up for other readers:

Yes, we can run Cloud Portal without a Cloud Platform subscription. We can create Open Social Widgets to be consumed via the Portal with on-premise backend connections over HTTP (via SAP HANA Cloud Connector).

If we want to call RFCs via JCo (on-premise via SAP HANA Cloud Connector), we must have a Cloud Platform subscription.

I can confirm that both options works!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mikael,

I will be happy to clarify this for you, you are also welcome to contact me via mail   for more information on Cloud Portal licensing and capabilities.

Let’s me clarify the dilemma for you, Hana Cloud Portal is a service on top of the Hana Cloud Platform, the connectivity to on-premise backend systems can be configured via SAP Connector / Getaway as a service which are provided via Hana Cloud Platform.

Once you have be setup the connectivity you can enhance it with creating site and widgets on top of cloud portal, that consume data from the on premise systems. The Cloud Portal is Complementary product provides you the ability to create state of the art sites and  widgets which  connect to the on premise application and retrieve the on premise data (via the sap connector).

The license for cloud portal already  includes several Hana Cloud Platform resource such as HCP account and  bandwidth, so when you purchase Cloud Portal you also receive some of the Hana Cloud platform resources.

Best Regards,

Ofra

mig1
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks, I have e-mailed you a few follow-up questions.

Basically, I would like to run the Cloud Portal along with Cloud Connector. In the Cloud Portal, I would create a few Open Social Widgets applications developed in UI5 (or another javascript framework). These applications would consume and update on-premise SAP systems.

For my use cases, I am only interested in client-side applications; hence I don't want to pay for a full Cloud Platform license for server-side programming.

yarivzur
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mikael,

Also sent the answer via email...

But just to clarify - in case you are just writing client side applications, w/o need for a Java VM (or XS) to run them, the license for the cloud portal includes 2Gb of unstructured storage and 2Gb of bandwidth for every block of 1000 visits. This means that you should have enough storage to run custom widgets w/o a platform license.

The team/department sites packages are based on an older, less recommended, metric of cloud portal which is user based. The team site includes 100 user license and the department site includes 1000 user license (if I remember correctly, I can double check).

Hope this helps.

Yariv