cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have a prompt within dimension?

nscheaffer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am in the process of creating a universe with all sorts of date based variations (e.g. "First Day of Last Month", "Last Day of Next Quarter", etc.).  I am basing this on a Calendar table that we have defined in SQL Server 2008 that has a row for each date 60+ years into the future.

I having some issues with my First Day of Last Week.  The following expression works provided the week starts on Sunday...

DATEADD(DAY, (7 + (DATEPART(dw, common.dbo.Calendar.dt) + 7 - 1) % 7) * -1, Common.dbo.Calendar.dt)

However, I would like to prompt for the first day of the week (1 = Sunday, 2 = Monday, etc.) so my expression would like something like this...

DATEADD(DAY, (7 + (DATEPART(dw, common.dbo.Calendar.dt) + 7 - @FirstDayOfWeek) % 7) * -1, Common.dbo.Calendar.dt)

If I plug those values in there, I get the result I seek.  Can I set up a prompt for it?  There must be a way, I am just not figuring it out.

We are on 4.1 SP01 Patch 2.

Thanks,

Noel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Create a object 'FirstDayOfWeek' using

CASE

WHEN @Variable('FirstDayOfWeek')='Sunday' THEN  1

WHEN @Variable('FirstDayOfWeek')='Monday' THEN  2

---

---

END

and replace @FirstDayOfWeek in your above code with this object 'FirstDayOfWeek'.

Note: If you try to parse this object then it fails as it is not associated to any of the tables.

Go to this object properties -> Select Tables option (its next to Parse button)

and select Common.dbo.Calendar.dt table -> Apply -> OK.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Two things on this

Firstly, instead of @Variable, use @Prompt

The other, there is no need to associate it with the table. You're going to be using it as part of a larger case statement so it will parse. What you're better off doing is hiding the object so that it cannot be used on its own, completely out of context.

nscheaffer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I fully acknowledge that I may not have explained my objective clearly and that I may be making this more complicated that it needs to be.  However, I do have things working here is what I did.

First, I created a static LOV called Days of Week.

I then created a Parameter called Week Start Day based on the Days of Week LOV.  I was trying this before, but it wasn't working for me because I had neglected to uncheck the "Allow multiple values" check box.

Next, I created a dimension called Week Start Day defined as follows...

@Prompt(Week Start Day)

And then I could define my First Day of Previous Week dimension as follows...

DATEADD(DAY, (7 + (DATEPART(dw, common.dbo.Calendar.dt) + 7 - @Select(Derived\Week\Week Start Day)) % 7) * -1, Common.dbo.Calendar.dt)

I think I could have just as well embedded the prompt like this...

DATEADD(DAY, (7 + (DATEPART(dw, common.dbo.Calendar.dt) + 7 - @Prompt(Week Start Day)) % 7) * -1, Common.dbo.Calendar.dt)

I have tested them and they both work.

I also wanted to make available the name of the day that was selected to start the week.  I tried a case statement, but I got a Cartesian product warning/error.

CASE

WHEN @Select(Derived\Week\Week Start Day) = 1 THEN 'Sunday'

WHEN @Select(Derived\Week\Week Start Day) = 2 THEN 'Monday'

WHEN @Select(Derived\Week\Week Start Day) = 3 THEN 'Tuesday'

WHEN @Select(Derived\Week\Week Start Day) = 4 THEN 'Wednesday'

WHEN @Select(Derived\Week\Week Start Day) = 5 THEN 'Thursday'

WHEN @Select(Derived\Week\Week Start Day) = 6 THEN 'Friday'

WHEN @Select(Derived\Week\Week Start Day) = 7 THEN 'Saturday'

END

So I simply defined my Week Start Day Name as the name of the day of the First Day of Previous Week dimension...

DATENAME(WEEKDAY, @Select(Derived\Week\First Day of Previous Week))

Here is how is works...

As I said earlier, there may be a simpler way.  However, this works for me and I understand it.  I am sure I will find ways to improve my design with your help.

Thank you,

Noel

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's a good explanation, thanks.

I would imagine that it works fine - are you noticing any performance issues?
If not then I wouldn't worry about it.

nscheaffer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Performance is good within IDT.  I have yet to test it in a WebI report.

Noel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, it looks logical and if performance is quick and accurate then the users won't complain either.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

nscheaffer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I detailed my final solution here if you are interested.

Noel