Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BC_BC_XMB_<date>_*_0.ARCHIVE File makes File System full

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

In our Production environment we have some BC_BC_XMB_<date>_*_0.ARCHIVE files that make our file system full.

after looking at the following discussion:

Seems that the files are generated from the archiving background job.

How to clean these files? Is there any tcode that could be used?

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear All,

After investigating further I have some new finding:

- in ST22 I see many exceptions with runtime error DATASET_TELL_ERROR from report RSXMB_ARCHIVE_MESSAGES. Seeing further into the detail, I see the following Error Analysis

With certain system operations, you must temporarily close opened files

. To be able to reopen these files, you must define the current file

position.

This operation cannot be performed.

File: "/<path_edited>/BC_BC_XMB_20140203_170001_0.ARCHIVE"

Error text: "A file or directory in the path name does not exist."

Error code: 2

But actually seeing at the file system, the file does exists. Is "RSXMB_ARCHIVE_MESSAGES" is the program to delete those ARCHIVE files or that program is the one that creates them?

- Seeing at the file system, we still have those ARCHIVE files back until Jan 21st 2014. Seems like those files has not been deleted for quite days.

- Seeing at the SXMB_MONI > Job Overview the the Delete job actually finished at date Feb 6th 2014.

If those are the ARCHIVE of success messages, I think it is quite safe to delete the old dated files?

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suwandi -

But actually seeing at the file system, the file does exists. Is "RSXMB_ARCHIVE_MESSAGES" is the program to delete those ARCHIVE files or that program is the one that creates them?

>>>>If you observed the job log you should have noticed it - It's the program which creates those files.

Seeing at the SXMB_MONI > Job Overview the the Delete job actually finished at date Feb 6th 2014

>>>>>your delete job (RSXMB_DELETE_ARCHIVED_MESSAGES) actually deletes the messages from database tables which are out of the retention period but not from the physical file location.

If those are the ARCHIVE of success messages, I think it is quite safe to delete the old dated files?

>>>>>AFAIK - There are no standard jobs that delete these files from the OS level.

Refer to Anupam's reply in the below thread for a more detailed understanding

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

marksmyth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Suwandi,

As a starting point, take a look at note 872388 Troubleshooting Archiving and Deletion in PI. Check that the Archive and Delete jobs are executing without errors. If there are errors, post your findings here.

It is probably not a good idea to be storing the Archived files on the same drive as the PI system is installed. If these files are filling up the system, it will prevent your PI system from operating. So, if possible, try to move the directory where the Archived files are stored.

Regards

Mark

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

Do  you mean if things were working perfectly (the archiving and deletion jobs) the ARCHIVE files should be deleted automatically?

I will look at the note that you gives me.

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suwandi - AFAIK - Yes. Your delete job should delete them. So make sure that you scheduled delete jobs .

You might want to check your configurations.

Better way to monitor -> go to sxmb_moni -> monitor background job processing.. it'll open webpage and you'll all the periodic jobs and their status..

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hareesh,

Thank you for the reply.

I don't see the monitor background job processing in the SXMB_MONI. Maybe because of different version? My PI Version is PI 7.11.

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I dont remember whether this option was there in 7.11. I've it in 7.3 system