cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sgen running from longtime after system copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

Need your help related to SGEN as part of post installation activity after the system copy with db upgrade and os  ( oracle 10g  to oracle11g )

It was running from last 2 days I have increased the dialog work process as well but still the same issue .

can some one guide me to complete the sgen process .

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

0 Kudos

Hi,

About the error in TPL files. I had the same using old versions of SWPM. Which version are you using?

"I have bypassed the error by changing the DDLORA.TPL and DDLORA_LRG.TPL  files with psapsr3620 to 700 and re - run the system copy ."

Have you used the defaults parameters on Brtools? .Execute a Full DB statistic using: After this, update statistics for tables D010*, REPOLOAD and others  visibles in SM50. Do this each 10min while sgen runs.

EXECUTE dbms_stats.gather_database_stats;

Deactive Archivelog and is possible, disable mirrorloging. Re-enable it after sgen.

What the size of RedoLogs. Older sapinst create it with 50MB and SWPM with 200MB. Increase the size if have only 50MB.

Alter database noarchivelog;

Check tablespace space.

regards,

Mauricio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Are you able to see the progress? If it is ON then slowness must be because of available WPs, statistics, oraarch space, unavailability of resources etc.

Regards,

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

You should also take care about the oraarch filesystem, it's common that in sgen process the filesystem gets full and the process hangs.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Michael

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mohan,

After Oracle upgrade did you execute statistics update for oracle dictionary, system and update table statistics ?

If not, please do the same.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

I have updated the DB statistics via BRtools . it was successful 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Just for more information during the system copy I have faced error (Ora-00959 sap tablesapce psapsr3620 doesn't exits ) but this table space exits in the source system.

I have bypassed the error by changing the DDLORA.TPL and DDLORA_LRG.TPL  files with psapsr3620 to 700 and re - run the system copy .

Do let me know if above error causes any inconsistency in database  or SGEN taking long time to complete .

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

This should be fine. SGEN can take a while to run depending on your SAP version (the higher the version is, the longer it takes).

There is a way to reduce SGEN duration by creating a REPLIST file (used during upgrade) in directory work (/usr/sap/$SID/DVEBMGS00\work\) and select option "Regenerate after a SAP system update". SGEN will then only compile the programs defined in that list.

You can create that REPLIST text file by extracting field PROF from table D010LINF.

This is only useful if there is a system where you did not compile all sources and let the users compile what is really needed.

Compiling all the sources is just an absurd consequence of consultants putting pressure on admin because they cannot afford waiting for transaction prog to compile.

The fact is that even in wide scope SAP implementations only a small part of source prog are used (I would say less than 60%) so compiling all sources is filling up table REPLOAD with useless loads, just a stupid waste of space.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mohan,

How many tables are getting processed per hour? How is the CPU?

Can you check the below notes

1002815 - SGEN Performance Issue

985845 - SGEN performance when determining objects to be generated

Thanks,

Jagadish.

Former Member
0 Kudos

actual DB size is 220 gb after copy it was 153 gb ..