cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joins Between Analytic View and Attribute View

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Read this line in Modeling Guide ''The same table can't be used in the join path of Analytic View and Attribute View''.

Does this mean we can use say for Ex. table1 in both Analytic View and Attribute View.

But I am able to use the same table in both the views.

Can somebody pls explain me on this in detail..

Thanks  in Advance

Siva.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

vivekbhoj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The same table can't be used in the join path of Analytic View and Attribute View''.

As per me , it says that suppose you have used "table 1" in creating Attribute View1 in HANA

Now you are creating an Analytic View using the Attribute View1 created above

In this case, you can't use "table 1" as Fact table in your Analytic View to join it with Attribute View1 (as attribute View is already using this table) as Self Joins are not available here

Lets say I created a table called "Sales".

Then I created an Attribute View "AT_SALES" using table "Sales" created in above step

Now I want to create an Analytic View:

-> I am creating an Analytic View using table "Sales" as my fact table and then I can join it to any Attribute View

But If I try to join table "Sales" to Attribute View "AT_SALES" - then I will get an error - the reason being

I cannot join table "Sales" to my Attribute View "AT_SALES" as in this case I will be using same table "Sales" twice

As table "Sales" is appearing twice and it requires a Self Join to create join between these two - and Self Joins are not supported here

So in simple words, You can't use a single table twice to create a join in an Analytic View

To learn more about Self Join, read:

SQL - SELF JOINS

Regards,

Vivek

Answers (0)