Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Hibernate and Envers in NW 7.31

SC
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

we're going to implement an ejb-application on SAP NW 7.31 AS JAVA which has to take care of the temporal patterns. (http://martinfowler.com/eaaDev/timeNarrative.html)

Our first choice is to use the current hibernate framework which includes the envers environment.

Is this configuration possible? Which hibernate version is compatible with NWDS and 7.31?

Thank a lot!

Christian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

rolf_paulsen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

why should this not be possible? When you bundle hibernate libraries into the lib folder of your enterprise application, every not very old version (>= 3.x) should work. Bundling into lib folder avoids classloading issues with (i.e.) apache classes also contained in NW 7.31.

What does compatibility with NWDS mean? "hibernate tools" in eclipse are not required.

Besides hibernate you might consider EclipseLink's History feature.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/Examples/JPA/History

The advantages of EclipseLink over hibernate:

- only one singe jar (avoiding classloading issues)

- works with HANA datasource out of the box (EclipseLink is the core of persistence service in SAP Cloud) - we managed to run our Java application on HANA database without modification.

There is less documentation in EclipseLink compared to hibernate, but the community helps. And with SAP NetWeaver issues, SAP itself might help since they contributed HANA support.

Our experiences with EclipseLink in SAP NW Java from 7.20 till 7.31 are uniformly good, even with EclipseLink specific functions like session customizer, but we did not yet try the History featue.

I hope this helps to get started.

Rolf

SC
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rolf,

thank you very much for your detailed answer. I'll have a look at the history featere wether it could be applicable for use.

Best regards

Christian

Answers (0)