cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R3szchk long running time

former_member233435
Participant
0 Kudos

I am doing export of 4.7x200 production on windows. I skipped update statistics step, R3szchk ran for 8 hours without progress. I checked R3szchk but no process activity found, like it hanged. So I aborted the process. All R3 progs are of latest version. Couple of days ago I ran export but I did not skip step to update statistics and it went ok, but update of statistics took a long time to finish, about 9 hours, but this was not production system so it was alright.

- is it possible to run the same update of statistics manually (as in update statistics step)?

brconnect -u / -c -f stats -o SAPSID -t all -m +I -s P10 -f allset,collect,method,precision,keep -p 4

- will it be harmful for productive system during office hours for end users?

- do I have to be in some special directory when I start update of statistics manually?

If I can do this, I will update statistics manually during office hours and after I can bring productive down for export, start export but skip update of statistics process since I already ran it manually. Is this viable scenario for export?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

- is it possible to run the same update of statistics manually (as in update statistics step)?

brconnect -u / -c -f stats -o SAPSID -t all -m +I -s P10 -f allset,collect,method,precision,keep -p 4

Yes

- will it be harmful for productive system during office hours for end users?

No

- do I have to be in some special directory when I start update of statistics manually?

No. The standard one is enough. /oracle/SID/sapcheck

Regards

RB

former_member233435
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks!

Later when I start export in sapinst even if I skip step update statistics, statistics I made manually will be available for r3szchk?

Has skipping of step update statistics during export caused r3szchk to hang?

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

Later when I start export in sapinst even if I skip step update statistics, statistics I made manually will be available for r3szchk?

Absolutely.

Has skipping of step update statistics during export caused r3szchk to hang?

I don't think that could be the reason for a hung r3szchk session.

But I would check at the DB level for the sessions.

Regards

RB

former_member233435
Participant
0 Kudos

I found few interesting notes:

1047369 - Faster DB accesses for R3szchk using Oracle DBSL

554031 - Creating space statistics with BRCONNECT

Unfortunately, running manually statistics update for export can actually be harmful in a way that it locks indexes so users will feel that and since index updates won't be possible I guess it is not a good idea to run it with the users in the system, it would be best to shut down R/3. (note 554031 caution 7).

About sessions, you mean to find out weather R3szchk session is active or not?

I could also look at oracle trace files, would be easier if there were tail in windows.

I hope it will work fine if I let sapinst export run step with statistics update... and this means working on weekend.

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

You don't need to shutdown SAP for these activities.

Statistics can be create when the system is up and users working on it.

But if you are not confident enough then wait until you get a downtime.

I personally wouldn't wait for a downtime for the statistics collection.

Regards

RB

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As said by Deepak, update statistics can be done online and it should be done periodically to have better database performance.

Regards,

Nick Loy

former_member233435
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

I think this is not the issue here, update of statistics in general.

This is specific case when export needs to be done.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Here you want to update statistics manually and skip the phase during export?

Yes, you can do that. You can run the update statistics first (before downtime phase) and then export the database.

Regards,

Nick Loy

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sasa,

Are you using the latest versions of r3trans, r3szchk and r3ta before running the export prepartion and export db steps ?

If not it is recommendation to downloaded the latest version and then perform export and import.

Updating the statistics can be done online before you bring the system down. There is no impact on production users.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

former_member233435
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes r3 programs are in latest version.

We are doing update of statistics from db13. But I do not think those statistics are useful for export process and R3szchk. Calls for update of statistics in db13 (brconnect -c -f stats -t ALL) differs from sapinst export process update of statistics (brconnect -u / -c -f stats -o SAPSID -t all -m +I -s P10 -f allset,collect,method,precision,keep -p 4)

During export process the last step is deleting collected statistics.