Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JDBC SQL Exception The Network Adapter could not establish connection

markbernabe
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi JDBC Gurus,

I'm encountering below error in my JDBC receiver. Hostname, port and SID used in the channel are correct and verified by the DB admin. PI is in the same network as the database and the firewall allows connections from within the network. Basis is also able to ping the database server from PI. I'm running out of things to check. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Any other possible cause other than firewall/network issue?

Appreciate your inputs. Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark

from your PI server , can you please try to do a tnsping to the remote Oracle DB which you want to connect to and see if it is working .

Also compare the result with the other databases which you mentioned are working .

Secondly , please check in the remote DB if there is any error or issue in it ?

Thanks

Rishi

markbernabe
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rishi,

TNSPING to the database from PI is OK. It actually has a faster response compared to other databases.

The database that we are trying to connect to is production and admins said it's running fine

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

markbernabe
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

The database version is Oracle 8i and we're using ojdbc5.jar which I believe is backwards compatible. But as per SAP note 941317, it recommends Oracle 10g 10.2.x drivers (ojdbc14) when connecting to 8i 8.1.7 or higher. We couldn't really say that it's a driver issue since one of the test databases which we can successfully connect to is running on the same version (8i).

Any idea on how to make this work? Is ojdbc5 really compatible with Oracle 8i? If not, is it possible to deploy 2 drivers to be able to handle connections to 8i and newer versions (10g, 11g)? Thanks a lot

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark  - There is an interesting discussion on this topic.  I think you can go with ojdbc14 to connect with newer versions as well along with 8i

Please check the below threads -

java - Can we use ojdbc14.jar with Oracel11g and jdk1.5 - Stack Overflow

markbernabe
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Hareesh,

DB team just linked the old database (8i) to a new one (10) to prevent this issue. I just kept ojdbc5 instead of ojdbc14 because I felt that it's more of a downgrade than upgrade since the latter is for the old version. Thanks for all the helpful inputs!

Muniyappan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Ping does not mean firewall is open. you have to telnet. check with basis.

Regards,

Muni.

markbernabe
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Muni,

Sorry, I forgot to mention that Telnet has been performed as well and it's successfully connected to the database server.

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark - Can you let us know the database you are connecting to and the connection string you configured in the channel?

markbernabe
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Hareesh,

It's an Oracle database (8i). Connection string is jdbc:oracle:thin:@hostname:port:sid. I don't have any problems connecting to other 8i and 10g Oracle databases so I'm assuming that there's no problem with the JDBC driver that we have.

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nothing wrong with URL and you have confirmed that you are able to connect to other Oracle databases too

As a final check, can you try logging into that database(using toad/anything) and execute the queries with configured user to see if it has enough authorizations?

May be you can enable xpi inspector and i see if it logs any additional information.

Also did you try the above suggested test tool?

markbernabe
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Hareesh,

I've just asked the DB admin to double check the username and password and it's enabled and working fine.

Our PI only has JSPM so I couldn't use the EAR file provided in the note. I don't have NWDS yet to convert it to SDA. I will try to download later and see.

Thanks for all the inputs!

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check for the connection string whether it is configured properly or not.

Also check for the SAP note to test the connection from PI

1085539 - XI JDBC/FTP connection Test and XML Validation Application