cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from SAPDB to MAXDB

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have an instance of SAP DB database. We would like to ask you for help with migration from SAP to MAX DB, but the data from SAPDB instance must be saved. We have to export all data (structure and data) from current SAP DB instance and put this all to new instance of MAX DB.

Of course we tried to do it for two ways :

1. In MAX-DB STUDIO we have attached instance of SAP DB and instance of MAX DB. After this, right click on the SAP DB instance and tried to export but the error has appeared : export not possible , reason : version of source database not supported by loader plugin.

2. We have written dbm_cli script for recover data but the error has also appeared : The parameter UseMultiVersionReadSupport not found.

We have to backup SAP DB instance (structure and all data) and restore for MAX DB instance, or copy the instance some other way.

Have you got some solution or tips ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

Thank you for your reply.

I can not find the answer for my question here, this is concerning others engines version.

We have SAP 7.4 and MAX 7.8 and we need to make a backup (I done it already) and we need to recover this backup into database instance on the MAX 7.8.

I have made a backup follow instruction...

dbmcli -d ECONTROL -u DBA,DBA medium_put completeF c:\data\backup\sap_econtrol.bck FILE DATA 0 8 YES

dbmcli -d ECONTROL -u DBA,DBA -uUTL -c backup_start completeF

...and then the file has been created.

Question is , how can I recover it into MaxDB instance.

Of course I tried to do it manually (in Windows command line I have wrote):

dbmcli -d ECONTROL -u DBA,DBA medium_put completeF c:\data\backup\sap_econtrol.bck FILE DATA 0 8 YES

dbmcli -d ECONTROL -u DBA,DBA -c db_cold

dbmcli -d ECONTROL -u DBA,DBA -uUTL -c util_execute clear log

dbmcli -d ECONTROL -u DBA,DBA recover_start completeF

dbmcli -d ECONTROL -u DBA,DBA -c db_warm

dbmcli -d ECONTROL -u DBA,DBA -c load_systab -u DBA,DBA -ud DBA

But the error appeared :

-3068 mismatch of parameter configuration between backup and instance,

6 Data recovery failed.

20035, Parameter UseMultiVersionReadSupport not found

The time for us is critical, we need to get the solution as soon as possible.

We will be very thankfull for your support.

Kind Regards,

Adam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Adam please refer to the following link where Juan Reyes gave good answer.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3261128

You will need to first take SAP DB 7.4 to 7.5 and only then can you go to MaxDB 7.8

Regards,

Johan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks again.

We decided that we will install SAP DB version 7.4 (the same as before).

I downloaded 64 bit installation files and I tried to install it under Windows 7 64bit.

The error has appeared :

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows

you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether

you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then

contact the software publisher.

Can you help us with this ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

And one more think.

From where I can download Max DB version 7.5 ?

thorsten_zielke
Contributor
0 Kudos

Adam,

7.5 is quite old and not offered as Community Download any more. If you really need this, I would see if I can find a download and send you a likn.

But as you are already on 7.4.03 (= not starting with SAP DB 7.3.00), let me suggest that you upgrade to 7.6 and then further to 7.8.

This should work, at least in theory... I would recommend to test this by installing a test system based on 7.6 and then recover a backup from 7.4.03...

Thorsten

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Thorsten,

Thank you for reply.

I can try to install Max 7.6 and recover a backup file (backup from SAP 7.4).

But I need the installation files, I can not find it.

Could you send me the link with this please ?

Do you mind if I ask you for also link for Max 7.5 installation files ?

We plan to test it all, but I really need your links, I can not find it anymore since your web page changes. We will be really appreciate for this.

Best regards,

Adam

thorsten_zielke
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Adam,

the files are now located in the SAP store. Just follow the download link on the SCN web page and then search for "SAP MaxDB for <your OS>" to narrow the hits. It might be a bit confusing, but now all versions of 7.6, 7.7 and 7.8 are bundled in one package per OS.

I can try to find you a version of 7.5, but up to my knowledge it must be the Community version for you, so I cannot just give you one from our servers...

Thorsten

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Thorsten,

I can recover the database (under SAPDB 7.4) backup in the MAX DB 7.6 

Everything was fine , so I made a backup under MAX DB 7.6 .

But after I installed the MAX DB 7.8 and I tried to recover backup from MaxDB 7.6 it was failed.

Still the same error as before , the parameter configuration list is different and data recovery failed.

How should I recover backup made under Max 7.6 in the latest Max 7.8 ?

thorsten_zielke
Contributor
0 Kudos

Adam,

please check the database parameter "_UNICODE" in your SAP DB 7.4.03 version and in your MaxDB version 7.6 and let me know the setting.

This parameter defines if ASCII or Unicode is used for the internal Database Catalog. I was assuming that the database Catalog is automatically migrated to Unicode starting with SAP DB 7.4.03 and therefore that your database is already running with Unicode catalog.

Now I am curious which Catalog version your database is using?

VERY IMPORTANT: do *never* manually change the _UNICODE parameter, because it would not migrate the catalog, which means an ASCII catalog would be incorrectly read as Unicode type...

This parameter is changed implicitly after the database Catalog has been migrated via 'dbmcli -u... -d... db_migratecatalog'.

Up to my knowledge, the db_migratecatalog command can only be executed in versions below MaxDB 7.7, therefore it is important that you first migrate your database catalog.

Older SAP DB and MaxDB versions allow both ASCII or UNICODE catalog, but since MaxDB 7.7 the Unicode version is required and the UseMultiVersionReadSupport error you had posted earlier indicates that a ASCII catalog MaxDB backup was to be recovered into a Unicode catalog version, which is not allowed.

If my assumption is correct and you are indeed still running with the ASCII catalog, I would recommend to test on your MaxDB 7.6 the 'db_migratecatalog' command (do not interrupt, can take a while to complete...) and then try again to proceed further to 7.8.

Please note that MaxDB 7.5 is no different here from version 7.6...

Thorsten

Edit:

Let me add that the 'db_migratecatalog' temporarily disables log writing and therefore you will be required to take a full data backup afterwards...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adam,

I also have the same requirement.

Source:  Maxdb:7.4.03.32

Target: Maxdb:7.8

My plan is to install 7.6 in the Target and then Restore the Backup of 7.4.03.32 in the 7.6 DB System. Then do a DB Upgrade from 7.6 to 7.8 (or Backup -Restore- but seems that you had some issues)

Can you Confirm if that is the right approach?

Question1: I see that you have restored backup of 7.4 on 7.6? Is that correct? What was the complete version  7.4.x.x.?

Question 2: Did you run the below steps while taking the backup of 7.4?

>   exec "util_connect"
>   exec "backup_start <newly created medium name>"
>   exec "util_release"

Question 3: what issues did you face in the Backup-Restore from 7.6 to 7.8

Thanks!