cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUM requesting different Kernel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm running SUM for the first time.  I've run a MOPz transaction in Solution Manager, selected the appropriate OS and downloaded the suggested files into EPS/in

However, at step 5.2 I get the following error:

No suitable SAP Kernel archive for platform WINDOWS_X86_64 was found in the download directroy although the new SAP Kernel software component is requested at stack configuration file.

Please review your settings at the stack configuration file and check the attributes of the mentioned SAP Kernel archive at the download directory before you continue.    

There are Kernel files downloaded and present in EPS/in but they seem to be the wrong ones?

Is Maintenance Optimizer identifying the wrong files?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Evgeniy,

it's a problem with MOPZ that it's already marked on all types of kernel when you choose your OS/DB independent files step, you will find solution below in this link

(SUM) DEFINE-TARGET-SOURCE Solution Page - Technology Troubleshooting Guide - SCN Wiki

hope this help you and others

ralf_wahlen3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi .is that problem solved? I faced the same problem with the SUM  Patch 5 for SOFTWARE UPDATE MANAGER 1.0 SP11 ! How could i solve the message The stack is rejected because there were found kernels with different versions and/or make variants in the stack: 7.20EXT / EXT and: 7.20 /  ??? I unmarked the not wanted sar files for OS/DB combinations and get also this error.

The SAR files are located in usr/sap/trans/EPS/in. The xml file shows 201, 300 and 600.SAR SAPDBEXE and SAPEXE. So, i didnt marked it!!

Wheres the error, i edit the xml file and always get the error!!

Greets

Ralph

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have the same problem...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ralf / Evgeniy,

I am stuck with the same error - Can you guys help?

Thanks,

Subbu

Former Member
0 Kudos

I guess I found solution: dont' choose files with "EXT" suffix for stack.

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Paul

Few questions:

Do you have a separate downloads directory, where all the patches and the kernel for the target release kept ?

Is the kernel selected for the target release present in that directory and if yes then is it compatible with the OS you have ?

Regrading the R3trans, you need to download an updated version of R3trans and put them in the upgrade kernel location D:\SUM\SUM\abap\exe

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi RB,

Do you have a separate downloads directory, where all the patches and the kernel for the target release kept ?

I just have one directory for downloads, that's the standard EPS/IN directory.

Is the kernel selected for the target release present in that directory and if yes then is it compatible with the OS you have ?

Yes, the Kernel is in the directory.  In fact, I've manually downloaded the files for our OS and put them in there manually myself.

Regrading the R3trans, you need to download an updated version of R3trans and put them in the upgrade kernel location D:\SUM\SUM\abap\exe

I've tried this.  It's at this point I get an error (details in previous post).

In fact, SUM is asking for the Kernel for Windows_x86 - 32 bit!  The operating system is 64 bit, the OS selected when running the MOPz transaction was 64 bit, the Kernel that has been downloaded is 64 bit and the stack.xml file states 64 bit! 

But SUM still wants 32 bit!

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Paul,

I would use a dedicated directory for the downloads directory and also put the stack file there.

Regarding the kernel, is the system presently running on a 64 bit or 32 bit kernel ?

I would also try with a different version of SUM and start all over again.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

The OS is 64bit. 

I've tried two different versions of SUM already, same problem each time.

I'll try a dedicated directory for the downloads and see how that goes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Does anyone have anymore suggestions with this one please?

Just to clarify, the stack.xml file lists Kernel 7.20 ext 64-bit for Windows.  These are the Kernel SAR files that are sat in EPS/IN.  I've even downloaded them manually and put them in the directory myself.

Yet SUM keeps telling me there are no Kernel files and that I need to download them.  I've done this!

Any suggestions would be very welcome as I'm ready to burn our Solution Manager server to the ground.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Is your DIR_TRANS is pointing to the same place where you kept the kernel files in EPS/in.

R3trans version you can still check right click properties -> Details -> THis will show you the version.

When SUM re-rums this check it should go if you have placed a latest R3trans file

Thanks,

Jagadish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Check for the file  SUM_DEFINE-TARGET-SOURSE_*.log in .sdt/log and see which is the missing package. Compare it aganist with the stack .xml file and download it and put the SAR file in the   download directory ,(you donot have to uncar it and put it in EPS/in). Then when you rerun SUM, it will pickup the file and uncar it by itself.Normally the stack.xml and the packages are kept in the same folder but SUM looks for the packages in the DIR_EPS_ROOT folder.

Regards

Sandy Sam.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandy,

Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to find the .log you refer to so I'm unable to compare it to the stack.xml file. (I've literally searched the entire server)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've had a full recap of what I'm doing here and I can confirm that the stack.xml file IS looking for the Kernel I have downloaded.  And yet it told me the Kernel was not the correct one.

I now also have a second problem.

SUM is telling me that the R3Trans.exe file is too old (even though Maintenance Optimizer idenfied the file in question, it was not selected and downloaded manually by me)

So I download the latest one and replace the "old" one with the current one........only to receive this error:

Last error code set: Cannot create process 'D:\SUM\SUM\abap\exe\R3trans.EXE -V': Error code #216

It really shouldn't be this difficult!

I've tried reporting this to SAP.  Takes them a week to reply!

former_member45419
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

pls refer below links,

Downloading SAP kernel patches

Downloading SAP kernel patches

Regards

Nayeem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

MOPz checks patch and version for Kernel within upgrade processes but the question is ? did you selected the correct files for download? remember that during MOPz process you have to select IGS, if ext or not ext kernel is used, etc.

I will recomend you to go back and check that detail when marking the kernel files to download. Don´t look at the XML file because the problem is not there.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Paul,

This could be a problem with the version mismatch in stack config file.Please cross check the version of the kernel file downloaded and also see in the stack.xml file whether the kernel versions are mentioned there are some.. If there is a mismatch, you can edit the stack file with the  kernel version you are having ( keep a backup of the original file) and try rerun SUM. But make sure that the kernel downloaded is supported for the EHP upgrade or whatever you are doing.

Regards

Sandy Sam