cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel upgrade - Java Abap

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are running BW 7.3 SP9, no dual system, 2 separate stacks for Java and ABAP.
We consider applying kernel 7.20 EXT on the ABAP Stack. Do we have to apply the kernel update for the Java stack as well?

It’s a good practice to keep the support packages at same level on both the Java stack and the abap stack.

What is the relation between the kernels on the Java and ABAP stack?

Are there any dependencies we should be aware of?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

willi_eimler
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bruce,

i would updating both stacks too. But why do you want to use 720_ext and not 721_ext?

An example put for 720_ext is under:

An example put for 721_ext is under:

Upgrade of Kernel from 7.11 to 7.21 EXT on a PI 7.1 EHP1

In both blogs you can see how to prepare and do a kernelupgrade.

Best regards

Willi Eimler

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bruce.

Standard practise would be best to keep your kernels on you JAVA and ABAP stack's synchronized.

If you review note 1553301 - 7.20 EXT Kernel - Usage, you will see there is two sections for you:

Replacing the 7.20 Standard Kernel by the 7.20 EXT Kernel for an ABAP-Only Stack and for an ABAP/Java Dual Stack

and also:

Replacing the 7.20 Standard Kernel by the 7.20 EXT Kernel for a Java-Only Stack - the latter referring you to deploy via JSPM KB article 1505299 - Kernel patch update using Java Support Package Manager (JSPM).

So the only difference is method of deployment and I do not see inter depencies mentioned, but as per logic if you have various levels of kernels this will probably lead to issues.

My 5 cents.

Regards.

Johan

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello

As this is a BW system with a separate ABAP and Java stacks and both are connected I would consider updating the kernel on both stacks. BW ABAP is dependent on BW Java.

Regards

RB

former_member209962
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Bruce,

Your kernel is depend upon your operating system and database

Kernel files are same for ABAP as well as JAVA,  you can perform kernel upgrade either manually or by JSPM.

Thanks

Tabrayz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,
Thx for your answers.

To sum up your answers; We can choose to apply the extended kernel on ABAP stack only and the leave the java kernel at the current level.

There is no dependencies on the BI Java kernel version and the BI abap kernel version.

Agree?

Regards Bruce

former_member209962
Participant
0 Kudos

Recomended way is to keep abap and java kernel on same level.

if your ABAP and JAVA are on same server then you need to upgarde kernel for both.

If your JAVA and ABAP is on seprate servers then you can uprage abap kernel and leav java kernal as it is.

Thanks

Tabrayz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bruce,

I would indeed apply the new kernel on both ABAP and JAVA stack.

Just be careful on the operating system requierements.

Regards,

Pierre