cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB02/DBACOCKPIT Free Space monitoring clarification

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SAP Experts,

This is on SAP ECC 6 on MS SQL Server 2008 and Win OS.

I need your help to clarify that free space % shown in DB02 > Space > Overview > Overview tab and in ‘Data’ – Free [MB] shown 1.93% free, but if I check my OS I have enough space but not this low % shown here in this field.

OS Free Space – %

We have 5 database files and I’ve checked DB02 > Space > Overview > Files tab > ‘Free Pct’ column values are all showing almost same less than 2% (1.88%, 1.90%, 1.88%...) avg of these values shown in Overview tab > Free [MB] ?

Can anybody please help to clear this confusion around this area to understand more about how does it calculate that Free % and what needs to done?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

its very simple

1) you DB is 1.60 TB and out of this 1.57 TB is used and 30 GB is free in the the database.

2) At OS level you got freespace out of the space used by the datafile size.

3) The datafile in RED has no or less space hence you can extend the datafile or add new or extend automatically if enabled.

The thumb rule is you must have some freespace in your datafile say around 5-10GB each but may be more but depends on your requirement.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sunil,

Your input is very helpful.

I was trying to understand the consolidation of this behavior.

However below are some more discussion chains and Notes referring here so that this may help somebody in future.

Detailed Note: 363018 - File management for SQL Server

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1846581

blog: Increase the Size of a Database using sql server studio & transactional sql

Regards,

GK

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Seems you got confused with OS and Database free space.

Free space of database @ DB02 is showing the free space available in your database.

Free space of OS @ file system layout is showing the available space which your data files can use.

In your case, 1607000MB is your actual database size where free space is just 30937MB (Your database is running with low free space!)

But you have free space available at your file systems where your data files can grown.

Regards,

Nick Loy

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Giridhar

In addition you can enable the Database page compression feature since you are using MS Sql 2008 as per the SAP notes

1488135: Database compression for SQL Server

1459005: Enabling index compression for SQL Server

Regards

Sriram

former_member184473
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Giridhar,

We recommend at least 10-15% of free space during normal system operation. This free space check should be performed regularly (e.g. once per month) by your DBA.

In Juergen's whitepaper we can see:

Setting autogrowth.

On SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008, avoid situations where automatic growth is executed by manually increasing the size of the data files proportionally in advance. Although the data files can be manually manipulated proactively, leave autogrowth on as a safety measure in case of an emergency such as when the database runs full.

Manually increase your datafiles when necessary.

Regards,

Eduardo Rezende

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Eduardo,

This is very useful and I was looking for this massive information.

Its a wonderful document.

Regards,

GK