cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technical Monitoring or BPMon. for BW job

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

Since last 2 weeks I spent all my time reading about Solman and how to Monitoring Sys. on it... but according to all this huge information I'm confused.

I need to monitor on BW sys. a process Chain so what I understood after all preparation, Basis config. and Managed Sys. config I have to choose between Technical Monitoring or BPMon. Business Process Monitoring?

If it right!!! please which step should I go ? putting in mind I just want to monitoring process chains  run daily ?

http://scn.sap.com/community/it-management/alm/solution-manager/blog/2010/07/23/best-practice-bw-pro...

This is a very usefull blog but what confused me another article about Technical Monitoring for Jobs ( Process chain also included )

again someone may explain it to me or even tell me if the are totally different  those two options?

appreciate it

Best regards

Mazin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mazin,

Solution Manager 7.1 onwards we have advance monitoring for BW within Technical Operations for all the BW Process Chains jobs you would like to monitor in addition to system level monitoring.

BPM(Business Process Monitoring) is something different. It  is required when you would like to monitor end to end scenario like O2C order to cash or Procure to Pay which cut cross multiple systems like CRM -ERP-BI etc

Thus answer for you go with BW Technical Monitoring if you want to monitor BW Specific elements only

for Tech Ops(BW Monitoring check below wiki) links

BiMon_Whitepaper - Technical Operations - SCN Wiki

BiMon_Home - Technical Operations - SCN Wiki

Regards

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Prakhar,

Thanks for quick reply. Its totally different ball game if I create a Monitoring Objects under Solution or the Business scenario to monitor my Process chain, however on the object list there is a Background jobs. (which is PC I believe)

Thanks again and my best regards

Mazin

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mazin,

If you do this in solution it means you are going for BPM which is something else so don't go that way unless you want to configure Business Process Monitoring.

if you want for Technical Ops run the setup in solman_setup for BI as shown below

Check the guides i have shared in the above link for setup and run this wizard it is simple and straight forward this way.

Hope it clarifies and helps

Regards

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Prakhar Saxena,

You are absolutely right. its simple and I got it wrong ...

after reading this  PDF  https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700000012372014E/Job_Monitoring_Setup_Guide.pdf

page 45 ...this confused me ?? they explained again about BPMon ..!!! So I dont have to go thru' this if I completed my 7 steps.

I understand what you mind thanks for your time and effort really appreciated.... 

Best Regards

Mazin

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mazin,

You are reading job monitoring which is something different and offers 2 options

you can choose the Techops way

you can also choose the BPM Way

but only for JOB MONITORING in any ABAP based system which means can be ERP,BI anyone

That's why I have clearly mentioned if you want to monitor BI specific element like queries, jobs, process chains simply run the wizard to configure BI Monitoring

no Job Monitoring

no BPM

In the screenshot shared earlier choose BI monitoring option and not Job Monitoring

I hope this time I am clear enough and able to remove your doubt

Regards

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prakhar Saxena,

Oooooops ..... thanks for correcting me ( things like this happened when you start gathering too many information and time is ticking)

Again my deep appreciation..

Regards

Mazin

Answers (0)